The Missing Piece: Creative Problem Solving Techniques

Course Summary:
A course that teaches repeatable techniques for producing, or solving, development challenges. GameDev.tv shows you how cross the gap from being a coder who can follow along with course work, to a coder who can solve problems and create their own projects.

Tagline:
You have the coding tools now you just need the techniques.

Skill focus
Where to start problem solving, restating problems in your own voice, continually breaking down issue into smaller chunks, working with restraints in a problem, starting with what you know, etc.

Length
Perhaps a mini-course that can accompany the larger courses.

The Skill Gap it Addresses:
I’ve taken many of these great courses, and while I’ve grown familiar with Unity and C#, I’ve always felt like I’m missing “something” that enables me to write code from scratch or solve problems that haven’t been covered. I watch a lot of Youtubers who say that “it just clicks eventually so just keep practicing” but that hasn’t addressed the issue for me. I can follow along with some advanced topics and theory, but actually writing/solving code on my own leaves me staring at screen.

General Solution:
A friend in the industry recommended this book to me: "Think Like A Programmer: An Introduction to Creative Problem Solving " by Anton Spraul. After finishing the first few chapters I find myself wishing that:

1. I had read this years ago when I took the first Unity course here.
  2. That there was a well produced course on these types of methods and techniques.

I would love a course that could help me work on these skills in the context of game development. I feel that reliably implementing these types of techniques is what I’ve been missing in my programming skillset and that they are not covered well by existing courses or Youtube videos that I’ve found.

Thanks for reading!

Privacy & Terms