The King with a Flat Cross

Here’s my king. I didn’t feel it but it actually took me an hour.

It’s fairly straight forward up to the cross. The cross seems to be the major challenge here.

If you take a look at the bottom of the cross, you’ll see what I mean:

For one, I am connecting a octagon to a rectangle. Have to be wary of generated geometry.

for two, the rectangle is longer than the octagon, but no wider than the octagon. This creates the problem that the octagon face will have to be partly facing up and partly facing down.

The idea I have about it is essentially setting vertices where the edges of these two loops intersect. Then I could create individual four faces on the octagon rather than one all-encompassing one. But, apparently it’s not an automated thing.

Here’s what I did:

I subdivided both the rectangle’s and octagon’s edge, used GG+shift precision gliding to move one vertex to place visually, and merged the other one to it. By making one vertex coexisting on two intersecting edges, a contiguous model becomes possible.

Repeated this process on all four bottom corners. Decent result… at least so I think. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes I suppose it is a tricky join, I tend just to build vert by vert, creating a new vert in an edge, making joining faces, etc.

Well done getting a solution that worked for you.

2 Likes

In most projects, you need to fix geometry manually (for different purposes).
How you solve them is up to you and the problem you solve.

You can use the knife tool to add more mesh.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms