The Injured Pilot - Sharing my Text101 game (as seen on TV!... well, as seen in the lectures!)

Hi all,

I’m live and recording the last video in the remastered Text101 and am sharing my simple text adventure game to the world.

Here is the link to “The Injured Pilot”, I’d love your feedback:

http://www.sharemygame.com/share/0e1c169a-a5fc-4bcb-84a9-2a5a3a3d3d47

One known bug is that if you click on a number which is not an option, you may get an error or a blank screen following that input.

My challenge to everyone taking the Unity2D course is that you all create a game that is better than my game!

Hi Rick, probably you should make this one not expire

Ah, good point! Unfortunately I think there is a time limit on sharing to the site. I’ll look into it.

Yeah, it’s 30 days. You have an official Itch.io account for GameDev.tv Rick, might be useful for this;

@sampattuzzi
Hey Sam, is there any way for you to find my previously uploaded ShareMyGame link and to re-enable it and have it not expire? Or does everything expire after 30 days, no matter what?

Not easily I’m afraid. It’s the same logic for everyone that just clears out old stuff from the S3 bucket.

^^^^^ ?

Rob, I think the plan of using ShareMyGame is to give students a less scary, low friction way to host their game. In this lecture I was going through the process of showing the use of this. I could indeed host it at itch.io but then we’d be changing what we’re recommending that students do. I guess I could redirect the link to the itch game so that people can still see the game.

That’s all very well and good but as you’ve seen after 30 days not only does the student lose their game, but so do you, so that messes up your lecture and links anyway.

Some students, but perhaps not all, I’n sure would be interested in having their portfolio available for longer than 30 days, indeed you talk about portfolios and artificats in the How to get a job in the Games Industry course, so showing them how to use a service that doesn’t retaining their games seems to be at odds with that.

I know it would be a re-record, which isn’t favoured, but perhaps showing the process of uploading to ShareMyGame.com for simplicity and advising after 30 days it gets wiped and showing one or two other services like Itch.io / GameJolt would be really valuable to students and it would also enable you to then leave your course games on your official itch.io page which would then be retained and make sense with regards to the lectures content.

Or - annotate the video and state that after 30 days your game got wiped and remove the link?

Or - remove the 30 day expiration on ShareMyGame.com across the board and take a hit financially on storage space for all of the clones of the same game where people are not interested in keeping a portfolio.

I like the idea of pointing out that sharing to Itch.io is an option.

ShareMyGame is Ben’s initiative, I’ll have a chat with him and see if there were any other plans with how it would be used.

I appreciate that the UI on the other sites may change, which could then reflect on the content of the lectures, but equally a couple of BONUS lectures at the end which covers those two platforms (or others) would look very positive, and you could then add an annotation to the original video which covered ShareMyGame.com pointing students to the bonus lectures. They’d just need a little “As you may have seen, our game expired” kind thing…

The ShareMyGame.com platform has been around for quite a while now, I’m sure there would be a desire to turn it into something more than it currently is, e.g make it more like an itch.io, and that would sit quite nicely with a sub-domain, perhaps portfolio.gamedev.tv for example, it could potentially generate revenue as well, albeit fairly low I’d imagine. The downside is the time to create and there are already other established providers.

Hi guys,

Here is my link to my first game, please play it and review it on game dev on this post

Privacy & Terms