The first game...after 9 years

Today is the day that I finally finished and published my first game, since I started to dive into game development 9 years(!) ago:

Quick Primes on itch.io

I have a huge pile of scrapped and abandoned projects just because they were all too big but my head never managed to scope smaller. So for 9 years I periodically started and cancelled project after project and I was at the point to deinstall all engines and leave it be.

One week ago though, while falling asleep, my head came up with a tremendously simple idea, that seemed perfect for a “Game 1”. Only a few days later the game was ready (only needed some polishing) and I dared to create an account at itch.io to publish it.

Just a few minutes earlier I pressed the button to make the project page public and this is a very special moment for me, because some weeks ago I feared I would never be able to achieve this.

I want to say thanks to GameDev.tv and especially Rick Davidson, because his course “Finish It!” and his videos on Youtube always brought me back wanting to realize this dream.

2 Likes

great work, and a sweet showcase for Godot :slight_smile:

once i got a handle on what i was doing and a sweet spot for the speed to give me a little more time to see what the number was when starting, i found it fun.

couple of small bits of feedback:
possibly update the tooltips on the buttons, as it looks like they pop up with the signal code calls.
not sure what it is, but if its an itemlist they can be iterated through and set to disabled with set_item_tooltip_enabled

when completing one of the challenges, would be nice to get the game to restart with the same settings after a few seconds, or one button to ‘play again’ or space to play again.

thats just my thoughts, but really smart work and glad you stuck with it to share your fun game with the community and other students to serve as a great motivation. keep it up

bit of math brain training @garypettie :slight_smile:
and in Godot too K-B :slight_smile: @Kevin-Brandon

Thanks a lot for the constructive feedback. It truly means a lot to me. I will immediately work on it as soon as I have the time. :slight_smile:

When I first stumbled upon Godot, I was instantly hooked by the idea of an open-source game engine (and by the Python-style script language) including the advantages for indie developers. I would love to see it getting more love and attention, so I will do my best to be part of it.

I can highly recommend everyone (especially newcomers) to take a look at it!

1 Like

Great work @Lorgi! The gameplay is simple but fun.
This sort of game would be perfect for mobile and could be a great time killer for the commute to work/school.

If you did want to aim it towards mobile, then consider changing the aspect ratio to something closer to 9x16 (I think it’s currently closer to 3x4). This is a more commonly used aspect ratio so would target more devices straight out of the box.

As for other UX considerations:
Consider moving the round/difficulty labels to another location, as the number token currently comes in behind them, which limits the amount of time you have to set up the gates.
One option would be to stack them where they are, or to move them to the bottom corners of the screen, where there’s not much going on.

Personally, I’d also place the gates a little further apart. This would give players a little extra time to adjust the next gate if needed.

Other than those two little bug bears though, I really enjoyed the game - especially the mode where you had to add/subtract from the starting number. This mode added an extra little challenge that I found interesting.

Well done on releasing your first game into the world. It’s a great (and often terrifying) experience, so you should definitely feel proud of your accomplishment!

1 Like

There is nothing as valuable as player feedback =)

Indeed I planned it for mobile, as one round takes only a few seconds and the input can be done directly with touch input without problems (I hope).

Your other feedback is super useful. I feared that the numbers would be too small on a smaller display, so that will take some iterations on mobile devices to get it right, but I definitely agree, that there is some wasted screen space (those thick borders of the calculation gates e.g.).

When reading the post of @OboShape I realized that the round system is useless compared to a simple “Play again” button. This would kill two birds with one stone (easier restart, more screen) :wink:

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the feedback!

2 Likes

It is wild, how easy it is to deploy to different platforms. I just exported an *.apk, tested it on my phone, and it works like a charm!

If there are some people here willing to test it, I would be highly grateful. My phone is a Huawei Mate 10, so it would be great if people with different brands could test it out (I updated my itch page with the apk-file). :slight_smile:

P.S.: Godot is a blessing for indies!

1 Like

Great work on the updates, those small UI changes made all the difference and really improved the experience.

I’ve not played the game on mobile yet but I will definitely try and give it a go soon.

As a next iteration (if you plan to keep working on it) here are a couple of other ideas that you might want to consider.

Rather than have the round end once you get the number to the bottom, maybe have it run on to the next level. This would give you that “one more try” effect where players try to beat their previous run.
This does something similar to the old round system you had in there before (which I quite liked).

You might also want to add some kind of scoring mechanic where you achieve a higher score by using the larger prime factors first. This would encourage players to take a few more risks and also go after those high score junkies!

Now, both of these suggestions that would require additional dev time and I’m sure you’re probably keen to move onto your next great idea, so definitely don’t feel like you have to implement any additional features.
As I often say; “This game is done. We’ll save that for the sequel!”

Someone wise once wrote in a book (which I can’t remember): “A game is not complete, when there is nothing left to add but when there is nothing left to leave out.” I understand it such, that you should concentrate on the core experience you want to ship and that everything beyond that core “muddies” it.

While your points are definitely valid, they are more appropriate for a different approach.
This game is my “Game 1” and thus I think I will keep it as simple and straightforward as possible.
It is meant as a small brain-trainer for yourself. No competition, no score, no leaderboards. Just you and your way to factorize primes. That is the experience I wanted to give, that I focused on and that I am happy with. :slight_smile:

However, I realize the potential of “competitive maths” and will add it to my backlog…so yeah let’s save it for the sequel! :wink:

P.S.: Though I still fix bugs, so if you encounter any, please tell me. I already got two bug reports after a few hours :smiley:

1 Like

Absolutely! That quote reminds of another, “art is never finished, merely abandoned”.
Pretty much every game I release has a laundry list of ‘nice to have’ extras that I never got around to implementing and I think that’s the case for pretty much everyone.

You’re absolutely right that you don’t want to over-scope your games and this one definitely does the job it sets out to do!

Privacy & Terms