The Blender Collab: Weekly Themed Gallery (Week 15: 2017) Cars

I saw that many members allready create wonderfull cars.

This week, you can create a new one or expose your old creating :wink:

1 Like

WRIUEFHVRWEVUERHVF

I was looking at a car at lunch, and thought “Man, cars are hard and I’m not that into cars. I hope the weekly isn’t cars”

lol thanks for scaring me. Get out of my brain plz.

You’re living in Australia, i’m leaving in France… if you draw a line cross the earth, we are neighboors … don’t look back :blush:

the middle one is not a corpse transportation

8 Likes

Slowly blocking out a Bugatti Veyron but seriously doubt it will be done for the end of this weekly its a big project! Sweet car scene Kolupsky!

5 Likes

A car within a week isn’t an easy task :wink:
I hadn’t much time, this is how far I got.

It took me 10 hours 15 minutes to get to this point.
The whole interior is still missing, some tweaks would still be necessary on the outside. Lights inside the taillights and windshield wipres are missing. Also of course the shaders need some additional work. And the surrounding is just a quick setup, so it has a bit of reflections and so on.

11 Likes

Stefan you did an amazing job mate!! very very well done :slight_smile: Excellent!! Did you use blueprints, or just work off a reference image?

Thank you :slight_smile: Blueprints and reference pictures. Both at the same time, because blueprints aren’t always that true to the object and you save a lot of time and frustration if you always check on the references all the time.

I agree Stefan blueprints are so annoying to work from!! Takes almost as long to set up the blueprints just right as it does to make it lols …how do you view the ref image at the same time as the blueprints as background image? Images as planes or in a operate window? .you did a great job, any chance you could post a few more angles so we can see all of it?

My setup looks like this

So blueprints as backgroud images in front wit ha low opacity and reference pictures on the side.

Here’s another quick render (only in 720p). As mentioned, the back isn’t completely done yet.

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat as rszarka that I probably won’t be able to finish it in time but here is the 2015 Hyundai Genesis coupe that I’m currently working on.

9 Likes

Great work !! Your cars are marvelous.

I create a low poly Camaro (1600 triangles) and a little animation :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Stefan thanks for outlining how you work mate! Im real curious to how everyones work flow is as im not convinced my method is the right way to make cars efficiently… Its coming along great mate…please be sure and post the finished product!

Jarhead : looking really great so far! How about you, whats your method…do you start from a cube or make it in panels that then get joined like i do? Its looking really good so far! Would be awesome to see how it ends up even if you don’t make it in time for the challenge…

AApef: Your low poly Camarao and animation are awesome mate! Dunno how you do it, i don’t think i could pull off a low poly car that looks great like yours! How the hell do you get it looking that good without using subsurface or lots of verts to get the shape just right! Is the body just a simple cube or one piece that you shaped just right?

Those look soooo goood!!!

I used a single cube. But my count was false, it was without subsurface, with it"s 5224.
I prefer HP, but my objectif was to have a quick rendering, 370 images x 5.09s

those cars look so good. Do you guys always start out with a cube and shape it until it looks like a car or with a plane and then shape them out (or in parts)?
I would love to make my own professional cars…:grin:

I Start from the top view with a single vertex, building the hood. I make the parts individually. This has the advantage that you don’t have unnecessary verts in other sections of the mesh and it makes it cleaner.
Also I think it makes perfect sense building it up like in real life. A real car isn’t made out of a single piece.

Thanks rszarka, I’ll forsure show yall what it looks like in the end. My modeling method is to find a blueprint of the vehicle and then for a bit I’ll just think of what a good low poly topology flow would be for the vehicle and plan out the different parts of the vehicle. The big thing I learned a while back when making my truck was that vehicles are made up of many different parts and seperating them gives it extra realism.

So I start with a plane, add a mirror modifier and just go at it. Then once I’ve blocked out the body I’ll add a solidify modifier below the mirror modifier but above the subdivision surface modifier and apply the mirror/solidifiy modifier. Go around the vehicle cleaning up anything weird that the solidify modifier might have made. Then add supporting edge loops around the insides so that it has a nice thickness to it. So that’s pretty much it for the body.

As for the tire I modeled the first tread of the tire.

Add an array modifier(I choose 60 times) and click on the merge option so that they merge together. I also use an empty to control the array modifier rather then trying to use the numbers.

Then add another empty with the rotation of x -90, y 0, z 90 and on the tire, give it a simple deformation modifier and set the axis to be the empty.

Then add a mirror modifier with the clipping on and then after that I use a subdivision surface modifier and you have a high resolution tire.

Just be warned though, the tires I use are up to 2 million vertices. If you’re going to make it for a video game I would suggest baking it out as a bump map to keep the polygon count significantly lower.

2 Likes

I work guite the same way. Mirroring, solodify and subdivide. Each part separately. Concerning the tires i prefer to use a bump map (I haven’t used it on my actual model yet, but I’ll use it)

I test a LP tyre with texture.

The result with

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms