The Big Hello Thread!

Hi all!

I’m learning from Victoria, Australia. Currently I have a little python, C, swift and web dev experience. I’m looking to make my own homebrew platform game as a hobby, and learn a lot more about development while I’m at it. Thank you so much for making this course! I hope it doesn’t cause too much problem, But I’m having to use unity 5 for the whole course, just to work with a pretty dodgy internet connection (and videos on 480p!)

Thanks again!

Hello Ben and everyone on this community!

My name is Anton Wahlberg and I currently reside in Stockholm, Sweden.

I’m looking forward to take the courses Ben provide. I’m currently enrolled in Unreal, Unity and Blender. I started out with the Unreal course due to me wanting to get the hang of C++. I’m a self thought developer and been working with development since 15 years of age purely as a hobby.

My goal with this is to get comfortable with the programming languages and the standards they require. I couldn’t find any better course to learn programming and also make video games which is a big interest for me also. I currently work at NASDAQ and assisting members to build their applications via the API that we provide. My final goal is to go towards full-time development and hopefully within NASDAQ and their trading engines.

This was a brief description of me and I hope we’ll dig into discussions together in the course.

Kind regards,
Anton Wahlberg

1 Like

Hi I’m from the UK and looking to get into games writing. I am an experienced programmer but bored of writing business software.

Hi Im John From Australia
I’m using Blender, Unity,zbrush and Daz 3d.

I have loved games and drawing Since I was a young boys. My first Gaming Platform was a commador 64.
My Mind is always racing with game ideas. I dont work at them moment so Im looking at doinggame design full time

Hi everybody

I just wanted to create a simple game and grabbed Unreal Engine 4 when it became available to all recently.
I muddled through 10s of the tutorials on the Unreal channel but the topics and presenters were disparate and especially the Blueprints sections don’t introduce enough of the foundation or basic concepts.

Since many of the Blueprint mechanisms are explained as visual coding I think taking this course will lead to a deeper understanding of the basics of this system and why things do this and that.

I had no idea about C++ at all. Visual Studio, magic numbers, abstraction, encapsulation, getters, constructors etc, all new to me !

So far (Lecture 32 !) it’s been great and Ben’s clear language, steps and explanations have been easy or quite easy to understand.

Thank you Ben and wish me luck !

Hi! I’m Psycho, from Switzerland, around 32 years old. Self taught dev, I use java, php, mysql, html, css, javascript, javafx and others… I need creating. I’m a very bad artist though. After a while on Project Spark where you could create games in a fun way, sketching them up prior to create them in Unity, I started using Unity. Got some ideas, but I want them to be mine, so I need to create my own assets… So Blender, here I am! bought the course on Udemy, set the video speed to 1.5 (mikey, you’re a good teacher, but a cup of coffee would do some good imo. Don’t take it bad uh! I still like you!). Again, I don’t have an artistic eye, I don’t see colors correctly (light deutan) but I want to get ahold of Blender. I speak french but learned english long time ago allowing me to follow the course on Udemy without any problem (and to be honest, I can’t stand french lessons…). I have just started Blender and created my first asset by following your awesome lessons! A simple train

Hi! Will from Canada!

I’ve been programming for 18 years, everything from SVSBasic and ANSI C on Unix back in the day to JavaScript when it was brand new in Netscape Navigator and now I program mostly in C#, JavaScript and HTML. Ben’s Unity course was awesome so i figured I would take the Unreal course as well, I see there is some talk of VR which was exciting but it looks like everything is Oculus around udemy on that front so I will experiment with my Vive once i have a better grasp of Unreal engine! If anyone else out there has a Vive it could be useful to swap ideas and fixes for challenges we have faced currently I’ve only used my Vive in unity but it was pretty easy so I’m assuming Unreal will be fairly easy to implement as well!

Thanks for the awesome courses Ben!

Hi There,

I’m Jordan from the UK.
Have been a front end web developer for lord knows how long, and decided to take a leap into a new field, and seeing as I enjoy playing games, as I am sure most people here do I thought, why not try this.

I am interested by all aspects of game dev, and would love to get the blender modelling course that Ben has to offer, but funds prevent me from doing so. None the less, there are free tutorials available and can work my way through that until I can get the blender course on Udemy.

Just about finished making the brick breaker game on the Udemy course and feel like I am progressing already.

Can’t wait to show off my games to the world and see what everyone thinks.

:slight_smile:

Hey guys,
My name is Lucas, i’m from Brazil.

I’m in the Blender Course (main), Unity, Unreal and VR Courses.
I’ve always been a big fan of games and technology, and failed a few times in the past as a kid trying to understand game development. I discovered Ben’s Courses by accident, i was browsing trough Kickstarter, thing that i rarely do, and i found Unreal Course and decided to research about Ben a little bit and found the other courses. Grabbed Blender Course in a sale and simply fell in love with 3D. Few days later i got the Unity and Backed the Unreal one.

As for my aspirations?

Maybe some day being able to work with something that i like, instead of something that only pays my bills :sweat_smile:.
I’ve interest in both Gamedev and Art (animations, vfx, publicity) industries.
But as much as i would love to work for a major company as Bethesda, Microsoft Studios, Ubisoft and EA, my distant dream is to open my own indie studio in Brazil, a country that has so much potential, but so many obstacles for game devs.

Hello, I’m Matt from Phoenix AZ. I actually worked in Game Development a bit with a company my friends started and we were using Unity as our primary development tool. I learned a lot while with the company, but all my learning was on the fly and there were a lot of holes in my knowledge. I’m am taking this course to get a firm from-the-ground-up understanding of the program and development in general and hoping to get back into making games by the end of this year.

Welcome Chris …I was looking for those dreams too! But like you said gotta be realistic and learn some skills to increase our financial status. Make sure you write down your ideas in a notebook just for your programming journey… so when your skills are up to par you can go in your notebooks and pick and choose what project you want to work on. Be detailed as possible. Shouldn’t take more than two pages.

Good to meet you, @Matthew_Schultz ! Are you still with the same game development company, or have you moved on and are just working independently now? I also happen to live in the Phoenix area, BTW. :slight_smile:

Hi there.

I’m Eyob Fitwi, from Addis Ababa, Etihiopia.

I love 3D stuff. I love games. I follow tech news and like gadgets. So yeah, you can imagine what brought me here. But I’m a total noob. To be honest, I don’t have a clear vision of what to be now, but there is this inspiration I feel inside. Right now, I really want to master Blender and who knows, maybe I can throw random 3D art pics I’ve been fantasizing about now and then :slight_smile:. I’m also interested in checking out game development, though I’m now sure in what capacity. I’m also interested in getting to know about the game engine Unity3d (and in farther off future Unreal), though I’m prioritizing Blender and Java programming at the moment. Although if Unity3d releases a port for Ubuntu, that might hasten things a bit…

If I manage to earn an income by creating game assets or similar materials as a freelancer, or go further and get involved in some more sophisticated role, that would be a roller coaster ride for me. I’m hoping the Blender course would help me get there. Who knows, I might even be able to find time to follow up on the Unity course as well. Though managing time is tricky with my job and other matters, I’ve covered over a quarter of the Blender course and I love it. Had to take a break for a while, but I’m planning to start all over soon (well, more like revise and continue) and push forth.

Cheers folks!

Hello my name is Payton and I am a student in highschool. I’m in the blender and unity courses. I want to go into the video game field and hopefully work for one of the companies that I admire greatly. I plan to further my skills in coding, animating, 3D modeling, and just game design and creation in general. Hopefully when school comes back around I’ll have time to keep on practicing and getting better at the things I love to do. When I found these classes I was very excited to have someone teach me the programs that I wanted to advance in, since my school doesn’t offer anything like this. I can’t wait to show everyone the way I express myself in video games.

Hi all,

Angela from New York City, USA here. I’ve been excited about VR and AR for a few years, initially when the NYVR (New York Virtual Reality) meetup launched.

Since then I’ve dabbled in Unity and Unreal, but wanted to explore and develop my 3D modeling skills, starting with the Blender course.

I also work at Augment, an augmented reality platform that lets you configure, manage, and view 3D models in real size in the real world. I’m excited to see the models I create in my environment!

In addition to the Blender course, I plan on taking the Unity or Unreal course to develop a VR project.

All that to say I’m happy to be here and learn from everyone. Please feel free to reach out and connect!

Hey everyone. My name is Broderick (might be obvious haha) and I’m from Hawaii.

My ultimate goal is to get hired into a company in the industry. I’m currently working towards my CS degree and plan to use the Unity course to add on to the skills that I’m learning in school. I’ve got a few ideas for games that I’l like to complete and build up a portfolio. I’ve got my eyes on the Unreal course for the future as I’d like to add C++ to my skill set as well. If anyone has a recommendation of an intermediate or higher C# course to go along with this class, please let me know (or if this course covers that then great!).

I’m a few lessons in and I’m really enjoying it. Hope to see everyone around!

Hello. My name is Ossie and I am continuing my foray into programming with this course. My game development aspirations are to (of course) come up with a killer game.

Hello Everyone,

I’m Johan. I’m a Sr. Software Engineer from Wheeling, IL USA, but I’m in college ( on hold at the moment ) for Game and Simulation development. I’m am starting the Blender course, but I want to do all of the Creation and Animation Courses. I started my degree as a hobby, but I’m hoping to one day create some really cool games and simulations.

I look forward to what this course have to offer and learning with you guys.

Hello,

I’m Trevor, and I’m from Arizona. I am enrolled in the Blender course, and am brand new to animation of any kind. I love film and story-telling and, currently, my strength is writing and I hope to complete my first novel this year. I work as a video editor for a marketing company, but it is pretty basic and my software qualifications are in Camtasia and Adobe Premiere.

What I would like to do after learning Blender is work for an animation studio (the pipe-dream is Disney Pixar). For now, I’d hope to just be able to turn an idea that I have into a, at the very least, tiny reality.

I’m excited to get started,

Trevor

Hello!

I’m J-Wall, an optimistic film maker obsessed with 3D printing here to dabble with VR world creation. Hope to meet yall and brainstorm soon. I’m from Nashville TN and my aspirations for gamedev are to take over the world…that I create. :smiley:

Privacy & Terms