Text101 CYOQ Design

So I sort of had this idea back when I did game development as a BTEC course at college, but it was a bit too ambitious. Here’s my ideas

What is the game genre?

Role Playing Fantasy Game

What is your game theme?

A horde of monsters led by an evil dragon is invading your town. You need to prepare and arm yourselves so you’re ready to take on this army.

The player is a young teenage boy wielding a sword and shield, with two allies – a slightly older and feisty girl who is more than keen to roast some monsters as a mage, and a slightly younger but sleepy boy who’s constantly napping yet wields some powerful healing magic and is skilled in combat.

The three of you come from separate villages, each raided by bandits, burned to a crisp by draconic minions and completely frozen thanks to some dark wizards. You and the others escaped from the respective villages to suddenly find yourself in the same town as them. You are all on a quest for revenge, and now the evil dragon themselves has appeared, you have to band together to take them out once and for all.

What is an image that sums up your game theme?

I don’t really have one, but it’s taking some inspiration from the Xbox 360 JRPG Blue Dragon, as well as Fire Emblem and various fantasy anime (e.g. Rising of the Shield Hero)

Who is the player?

It will be a turn based style party system, so the 2 boys and the girl are controlled by the player.

What is the goal?

The goal is to prepare yourselves for the oncoming swarm of monsters.

It’s very JRPG trope-y and unoriginal, but I kind of like it. The sleepy made who has powerful healing magic was from Linhardt from Fire Emblem Three Houses, and I thought I’d mix the roles up - you typically have a Black magic male wizard and White magic female wizard. The latter of whom, I had in mind Megumin from Konosuba who loves to use explosion magic. The village ideas were inspired by the Shield Hero anime, with these raids of monsters attacking villages, and those without any “hero” to help them out are completely decimated. And last but not least, the Dragon as a leader came from Fire Emblem, where a lot of the main villains are evil dragons commanding/influencing monsters, demons and dark wizards to aid in destruction.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

1 Like

From what I read in your design document I’m also super excited to see how it turns out!

Privacy & Terms