Text 101: The Amazing Adventure Engine

The Amazing Adventure Engine!

For this section I was more interested in gameplay mechanics than writing a specific story, so for now this is a tech demo.

A phrase to describe my goal would be “adventure solitaire”: a game that provides a short adventure randomly chosen from a collection, the outcome heavily luck-based but not without some strategy on the player’s part.

The result was The Amazing Adventure Engine, a mechanomagical marvel of uncertain origin that draws from the creative energy of all time and space to produce short text adventures of exactly ten scenes each. In each scene the player chooses one of three actions of varying degrees of risk, success / failure is determined, and the story advances to the next scene if the player survives.

The single “adventure” currently available is a basic demo of the game mechanics with some comment on what’s going on behind the scenes. I do plan to gradually write at least one real adventure, but the required number of scriptable objects for all the possible outcomes and endings for only ten scenes is considerable, so…yeah, just a tech demo for now.

Thanks for trying it out. Any comments / feedback / bug reports are welcome.

4 Likes

noicee

1 Like

Thanks.

This is WONDERFUL.

1 Like

Thank you!

Nice dude, I mashed hard and won a few times! The design looks good!

1 Like

Thanks, Toshi! I did a lot of mash hard testing/tweaking to make sure it was at least possible. Even got a max score once.

Privacy & Terms