Terrain Tools missing in Unity 2021

Okay, I made a few mistakes in my ship and laser set ups and ended up deleting the ship and pretty well messing the whole game up so I decided to start fresh using the ideas that I had learned (or tried to learn) the first time around.

I downloaded the latest Unity version 2021.1.3f1 as well as the new Unity Hub 2.4.3. Now, I am trying to use the terrain tools that I got in the first version I started of this game and cannot find the tool. I have instead a tool called Terrain Tools Sample Asset version 1.0 from 2019. It does not include all the things that are in Terrain Tools 3.02 that I downloaded for the first attempt at this game. I know I have the Terrain Tool because when I open my messed up file, It is still there. But when I try to import or find it in my new game, it can’t be found. I tried this in the latest version of Unity then I decided (since I couldn’t find the terrain tool) to go back to the version that I used on my first attempt at the game which was version 2021.1.1f1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

3 Likes

Hi Richard,

How did you install the Terrain tools? Via Window > Package Manager? If not, remove the current Terrain Tools and install the package via the Package Manager.

I might have misunderstood you but do not import your project into different versions of Unity because that could break your project. If you must do that anyway for some reason, make a backup of your project first.

1 Like

If you want roll back unity you can copy only asset folder to new empty folder then go to unity hub and press Add. Then select that new folder and here you have it. Only problem is you have to download packages again. But anyway another copy of your project will still be available until you delete it.

I installed the terrain tools using the Package Manager just like Rick did in the video. In the first project all worked well for the Terrain Tools. I then messed up somewhere doing the ship laser setup and ended up getting the thing totally messed up. I decided to start a brand new project from scratch. I also saw that there was a new version for Unity Hub and Unity so I installed those first. Then I started a new project for the same project in its own folder. I did not move anything from one project to another nor change which version of Unity was used for the project.

I really would like to just start all over fresh but that seems to be a difficult thing to do.

Where did you look for it? Did you check all sub menus in Window? Maybe they moved the terrain tools in Unity 2021. Or there is a conflict with the Terrain Tools Sample Asset version 1.0. You could also try to downgrade the Terrain Tools package in the Package Manager. It might be that there is a bug in the latest version.

I have tried starting a project in Unity ver 2020.2.5f1, 2021.1.1f1 and 2021.1.3f1. The only one that now shows Unity Technologies Terrain Tools (version 3.0.2) is version 2020.2.5f1. But, even with that if I go to the TAB that says "Download Asset Samples from Asset Store, I do not see it but just “Terrain Tools Sample Set”.

I have looked through the whole menu system in Project Manager in all three of the above versions and Terrain Tools does not show up with the exception of version 2020.2.5f1. And even then if I go to download the Asset, all I see is the Terrain Tool Sample Set. I guess I am to assume that the Terrain Tools by Unity Technology are no longer available.

I think you might be correct. From the official Unity Technologies repo on GitHub: " Unity has archived the TerrainToolSamples repository. For future development, please use the Terrain Tools package."

I’m currently installing Unity 2021.1.4f1.

In which section and lecture are you? And what exactly are you trying to achieve in your project?

Hi again

I am on lecture 7 “Adding Trees to the Terrain”. I had gotten to “Particle System Laser Bullet” but I had made some mistakes and was trying to use the new version of the Input System. The whole thing was a mess so I tried to go back to the old system. That is why I decided to start over again and stay with the old input system which matches what Rick is doing in the course.

Right now, I am just trying to cope with what Unity does and how it works. So, starting over is really no big deal. I would like to understand how games are developed and what it takes to make a game. I don’t know if I will achieve total or even minimum mastery of Game Coding but it is a great exercise for my mind.

In my personal opinion, developing games is usually the least problem. Getting things like packages work, that’s often a much bigger problem.

Anyways, I managed to install the Terrain Tools in Unity 2021.1.4f1.

1. Click on the plus button in the top left corner of the Package Manager, then on “Add package from git url”.

1. Paste this into the URL field: “com.unity.terrain-tools” (without the “”), click on “Add”.

2. If you are not able to install the preview package, enable this in the project settings.

Now you should see this in your project:

Or are you looking for something else?

3 Likes

Thanks, I will give this a try and see if I can add the tools that were in the lecture. I am not sure they are necessary as Rick said he just uses the old set of tools that are in Unity but he did show us the added tools and they looked useful. (Bridge tool, clone tool etc.).

Thank you again for all your patient help. It is much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms