Take The Sky (Firefly Themed Laser Defender Build)

Here is where my build ended. Thanks for checking it out!

Like a leaf on the wind, watch me soar!

1 Like

Great overall look and feel. I liked the “NES version” of the theme song, and especially the slow and sad version after I died. The space background / foreground was a little too busy and I sometimes lost enemy shots in all the clutter.

Movement controls are solid; I had no problems making quick dodges without oversteering. The amount of hits to kill an enemy seemed so high that I gave up on tapping and just held the spacebar down. I would have liked some audiovisual feedback when I was hit. I often died without even realizing I had been damaged before.

In a word: shiny!

1 Like

Thanks so much for taking the time out to play! Good note on the busy background. And I looked for ages to find something that would give me visual ques for hitting enemies and being hit and I could not work something out or find something that works. It’s officially on my to do list though. It will be revisited eventually.
And I wanted the player to just hold the spacebar for the arcade type rapid fire feel, BUT I don’t want it to be a hinderance.

Again thank you!

1 Like

Drew, this is fantastic! I love Firefly!

I really liked your clamped expansion of the play area idea and the design of the wave patterns especially. I liked the multi-layered star field idea but agree with David that it could do with a little less contrast (smaller stars or possibly a little more muted colour instead of pure white) to clarify the action.

I’ve just replied to your comment in my thread regarding the hit stuff, hopefully that helps your search there. You can use Coroutines like that to do other feedback stuff like camera shake and all sorts too. I recommend the Brackeys Youtube channel as he has some fantastic tutorials on there for little bits like that which I found helped me take things further once I had the knowledge gained from this course.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms