Switch on a lightsaber

I worked with many 3D applications for many years. Not as a professional, just for fun. To create small media stock.
Then I got acquainted with Blender, a free software package. But with a steep learning curve. And as you all did (I expect), following some online video tutorials. Which do the thing, but doesn’t explain much. “Do this, click here, etc…”

Browsing through my portfolio, I came across this old project (2015) and thought to share it with you. This online lightsaber tutorial made me decide to follow a real online course (this one).

The Blender node setup, renders several layers, then do some image post processing then merges all the images together. Maybe Michael Bridges can add a lesson on this subject … or is it VFX.

4 Likes

Hi FedPete, your lightsaber looks great!
The node editor has several functions and is a really mighty tool.
Depending on which mode you are in you can either work on the material, the compositing or the texture for brushes (sculpting and painting).
As standard blender will render one single layer, but you can change this in the compositing to your liking and needs. The VFX-part of the course explains some of it, so you get the basic understanding.

The possibilities of the node editor are so huge, this would blow the course out of proportion. But I think you get a really good basic idea of how things work and are ready to expand it by playing around and other tutorial videos specifically focused on what you want to achieve.

Cool, because for me it’s like working in Photoshop, merging layers, applying filters.
Sometimes I think, I want to tweak this in Photoshop. But then NO!, Try to learn Blender.

You could compare the compositing a bit to Photoshop layers. You even have mixing possibilities like multiply, difference, soft light and so on.

Also for instance if you edit a picture in Photoshop let’s say with a layer that has soft light mixing (to maybe set a color mood) but afterwards you decide aren’t that happy with the render itself, you can of course either render it new, and place it in PS, or you could save the layer with transparency and add it in blender in compositing. It’s another question if this makes a lot of sense :wink:
But if you maybe want to add a watermark on every render, you could easily do this in compositing. This would make sense and you don’t need to edit it in PS afterwards.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms