Sub Shooter - My Laser Defender Game

Hello everyone,

I had wanted to avoid posting in the forum twice consecutively because I’d hate to think I was spamming, but I am excited to celebrate the completion of my game ‘Sub Shooter’!

Anyway, I chose to give my game a nautical, ocean shoot-out type theme where you play as a submarine to take out enemy sea mines, submarines, ships and planes.

This is my second published game and I had great fun playing with particle effects and choreographing the wave spawns. There is a more I would like to add to this game in the future, but for now I’ve published it for your enjoyment…hopefully!

There are a few extra bits I added which I enjoyed figuring out and implementing such as:

• Flashing sprites when the enemy or player is hit.
  • Slight screen shake when an explosion occurs.
  • A health UI.
  • 3 power-ups.
  • Limited number of bigger missiles.

You can play my game here at: https://mulligamez.itch.io/sub-shooter

I hope you enjoy, and please let me know what you think :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Excellent work, I had fun playing. I like the nautical theme and the shooting and explosions–especially that little screen jolt-- were satisfying. My one minor issue is that the controls weren’t very comfortable for me, especially the MOAB key. Otherwise great job!

1 Like

Hi David, many thanks for playing my game and I’m really pleased to hear you liked the theme and extra bits of ‘juice’ I put in there. I really enjoyed making the sprites for the game so I am glad they are appreciated!

I’m sorry to hear you found the controls uncomfortable! I personally didn’t like Unity’s auto setting for the second fire button being the left alt as I find it hard to reach under my left hand while using the WASD keys for movement so I changed it to ‘B’. The reason for this is that I can just rest my right middle finger on the ‘B’ key and keep my index and ring fingers on the ‘space’ button.

Having said that I fully understand that everyone has different preferences for keyboard inputs and I realise other games such as the binding of Isaac use the WASD keys for movement and the ‘E’ key for using items. This is something I will definitely bear in mind for future games and I may add in an alternative option to Sub Shooter to improve the game experience for all. Would you have any suggestions on what key(s) would be the best option?

Thanks again for playing and for your feedback! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome! I would keep WASD for movement, include the arrow keys as alternate movement, and map fire/MOAB to the mouse buttons.

Privacy & Terms