Some friendly remarks on Sam challenges

There is a very huge difference between Rick’s lectures and Sam’s.
Espcially in the challenges:
Rick gives a lot of clues and hints AND writes them down, not trying to test us, while Sam gives the challenge throw a piece of advice or a vague clue and let us handle it.
Though it’s an intermediate course we are still students who know code but trying to learn something new.
So, I suggest taking Rick’s know-how and implement it in Sam’s lectures.
I mostly succeed in Rick’s challenges while failing miserably on Sam’s.

Thanks.

I think both approaches are good for learning programmers. If you are not pushed, then you don’t really learn, you are mostly just copying and pasting. That’s nothing against Rick’s challenges because I like how he sets up multiple stages (like suggesting you pause the video before he writes out the slides) - which is perfect for beginners.

However, at the intermediate stage, I would argue that if you can’t figure out the challenges presented by Sam then it might be a good idea to go back and brush up on some C# concepts independently of Unity. The first time I tried to do some of that stuff I was totally out of my depth - whilst the 2D course does teach the basics of C# its a very quick introduction, and I find a lot of people end up sort of copy/pasting their way through the course without a full understanding. At a certain point, the hand-holding doesn’t do you any favours if you want to eventually make your own games!

I think diving into the RPG course without some extra C# under your belt would be rather challenging indeed, it helps to already have a grasp on things like inheritance, interfaces, classes and properties, lists, etc.

Just my take, coming from someone who has been doing things the long way (after a long time of trying it the ‘fast’ way) and finally making some breakthroughs.

1 Like

I totally agree with heckadactyl, that’s why I love Sam’s teaching style, the challenges he puts are hard, I learned a lot from them, same goes for the questionnaires, I can totally see who wrote them, if it is hard then Sam did it, if it has a joke answer then Rick did it, which isn’t bad, I think the two make the pace of the course a lot more digestible, a lot of any of both might end up getting frustrating, they make a great pair, I hope they do another course together.

1 Like

I’ll be the first to admit, Sam’s challenges can be quite challenging. Fortunately, unlike when I was in college, the challenges don’t count towards your final grade.

Here’s what I recommend when it comes to the challenges: Go through the course once, giving each challenge a go, no more than a 1/2 hour or so. Then go through the course again a month or so later. You’ll be astonished at how much you’ve learned.

1 Like

Hey guys,
First of all thanks for the inputs and great tips (Brian).

As I see it intermediate means knowing C# mid level not a pro.
The pace is fast but good enough for a mid-level programmer (I myself am an information system analyst).
And what can I say “Sam’s challenges can be quite challenging” - totally agree.
I fill in those challenges that I’ve been tested to check if I can, and I don’t think it should be that way.
On the countrary give us tips and hints to wake our minds and way of thinking, this is true learning.
This supposes to be a friendly fun course for growing professionals.

What I do, is remark every line and method, so I could see if I understand it.
I do copy past things and after that going over it and figure it out.

Privacy & Terms