[solved] The Scene and C# icons under Assets console disappears after opening MonoEditor

Hello,
The files under project keeps on disappearing after I compile my Number Wizard.

OS version: Mac OS.
Unity Version: 4.7.2f1.

Expected behavior: The two file icon should appear. The Game Icon should appear after I save Scene As. The NumberWizard icon should appear after I create the C# file.

Observed Behavior: the icons disappear after I compile using MonoDeveloper.

Steps:
Step 1: Create a new project
Step 2: Go to Files -> Save Scene As and name it “Game”. I see a Unity icon named Game as asset.
Step 3: Create a new C# file called “Number Wizard”.
Step 4: Double click on “Number Wizard” file and build it. There are no errors.
Step 5: Now if I go back to my Unity Editor, the Number Wizard and Game assets icons disappeared.
Here’s the screenshot of my Unity projects console:

As you can see there are not files icon under Assets.

Other steps:
I tried to File -> Save Scene As to save the Scene again. It says “File already exists. Do you want to replace it?” I suspect it has to do with the the assets folder I removed earlier. After restarting Unity, the Unity editor recreates a new projects folder. I also tried reinstalling Unity from scratch. It gives the same problem.

Workaround I have tried. I tried to upgrade to the latest and greatest Unity. However the install failed because the Visual Studio Community Edition failed to be installed. I next downgraded back to 4.7.2. The problem still persists.

[update] I will just have to upgrade to the latest Unity with the Visual Studio Community downloaded

Hi Derek,

I had exactly the same issue today. I’m running Unity 4.6.9f1

This worked for me: Right click while in the Assets window and then select “Reimport”. The “Game” scene and “NameWizard” C# file should now be there. I also tried “refresh” but that did not work.

However, I do notice they are gone every time I leave and return to Unity.

Also, I cannot see the game running in the console window as it does in Ben’s video. I can edit and save the print statements but nothing is visible in the “console” window. I have selected the buttons correctly but the “exclamation” button does not register a 1 and stays with the 0 visible. I would be interested to hear how this works for you.

Hope this helps.

Allan

Hi Derek,

I solved the problem of the script not running in the console. It needs to be linked to a GameObject. There’s a solution GIF in the course Q&A link (located at the bottom right of the video player) in Lecture 17.

Allan

1 Like

yes i was having the problem with the print statement not printing too. I had to upgrade to the greatest and latest Unity. As it turned out, the Visual Studio failed to install. I then downgraded to the 4.6 as mentioned in the tutorial. Now I am back to square one: the two icons did not show up. Let me play around with your suggestions.

Privacy & Terms