So, what do YOU think main() does?

Not entirely sure to he be honest, but if I had to guess I would say it acts like the heart of the coding. Everything we do will somehow influence it or be influenced by it.

I think that main() is the primary source for this particular string of code

i dont relly know what is the main() command bou i think is the command that start and end the code

Hello. I am new here and I have a little programming experience.
So, in the main() function, the variables difficulty and maxDifficulty are the start and end point of the while loop. So the while loop will start from 2 and will end at 10 meaning PlayGameAtDifficulty() will run 9 times. PlayGameAtDifficulty(difficulty) function takes the value of the variable difficulty as an argument. Not sure what the next two std::cin statements do. ++difficulty increments the value of the varaible difficulty by 1. Finally, the std::cout statement prints the string followed by <<.
I hope what I wrote is correct. If not please let me know.
Thank you :smiley:

1. Removes previous text in the terminal so that players won’t read the wrong “hints” from a previous game (or other commands etc.).

2. Sets the starting value of “difficulty” to 2 - Why not 1?

3. Sets the “final difficulty” to 10 - which gives the player 8 “levels”.

4. Continues to do the following as long as difficulty is less than or equal to the “final difficulty” (10)

4.1 Presents and “runs” the “level” to/for the player - the “level” is decided by the value of the current “difficulty”

4.2 “Clears the failbit” could be related to the text the player receives when he fails?

4.3 “Discards the buffer” might be to “forget” previous inputs and values?

4.4 Adds 1 to the current value of difficulty

(4 again) Repeated as long as the current value of difficulty is less than or equal to the “final difficulty” (10)

1. Presents the text “WOW - …” etc. to the player

2. Ends the game

I think the main() function runs the program and anything you want the program to do should be in the main() function. In this case I think the code sets the initial difficulty and increases the difficulty by one until it hits the max difficulty as long as the answer to the question is correct.

main is the main body of code that will be run first before any other processes.

Any code inside the main() function will be executed when the program starts.

Hello, new here. I believe the code for main() plays a game at a certain difficulty. The diff level will increment to the next stage after the clear or ignore input condition is met in the while loop. When the user clears at max difficulty, they’ll get the message “Wow - you’re a master hacker!”. That’s my guess anyways.

Generally in my own words the main() function is the entry point of the program once it is executed. From there other functions are called, loops are started and run as specified until the program exits once main() has run through.

Although I’m not positive, it seems like the main() function is the container of our program. The Balloon that keeps all the fluid programming we generate in a container that can be delivered to the computer, and by proxy, others.

The main function is the first function that is called when the program starts.

Here in the given code, we start fresh by clearing the terminal. Then two integer variables difficulty and maxDifficulty are initialized to their respective values: 2 and 10. We then go into the while loop where the code inside the loop will check if difficulty is less than or equal to maxDifficulty which is the case. Inside the while loop, we will play the game at the set difficulty. Once we have completed the difficulty level where PlayGameAtDifficulty(difficulty) returns, we increase it until it surpasses maxDifficulty. (I’m not too sure about the reasoning behind the two std lines within the loop) Finally, we break out of the loop and print “WOW - You’re a master hacker!” followed by a return statement of 0.

The main function is Entry point, where program start by operation system like windows.
the codes we written are executed one line after one line.

in the code there are variables that store integer value about difficulties,
followed by While statement which will looping until difficulty reaches Max.
and the core function PlayGameAtDifficulty( ) takes the difficulty as parameter so I can see the game will be changed by difficulty which will be increased after we play.
what cin.clear() and cin.ignore() do is flushes out things in buffer and resets the state of input so eventually it takes care of miss-input by user.

after we reaches max difficulty, there will be a congrat messages and terminated.

I think the main() is a code controlling the all codes in the program

What i think about Function ( main() )
is to set up a login or code that can be use later when user / player finally get something for the result. so if user won then the Function do something and if the user lose the Function do something so there’s 2 funtion in my example. the function will run when we call it.

All I know is that it is a function. I don’t what is it’s purpose.

Hi.
I assume the main() function executes PlayGameAtDifficulty() function in a while loop.
If there were correct answers in a row from 2 to 10 then it ends the program with a Congratulation Greetings.
The two other commented lines

std::cin.clear();  // clears the failbit
    std::cin.ignore();  // discards the buffer

Never dealt with that.
Thats all for now.

The main () is the principal function of c ++, it is also where the programmer puts the code he wants to execute, in which he includes the instructions that the computer has to do.

The main function starts out by clearing the terminal. Seems like it sets a variable called difficulty to 2 and another variable called maxDifficulty to 10. In the while loop it runs and calls the playgameatdifficulty method and passes in the current difficulty until the diffuculty is no longer equal or less than the maxDifficulty. after that it exits and returns an integer of 0.

Not sure but I assume that it’s the function where all our “stuff” is going to happen, and if you don’t have it you compiler probably won’t be able to run anything.

Privacy & Terms