Snowball's Chance (a project inspired by Crystal Cavern)

Hey guys!

I really enjoyed the Crystal Cavern project in the Blueprint course and wanted to do more with the idea. I also wanted to start a project that would be Blueprint-only so I could direct my focus to level design and gain more experience with Blueprint programming in general. As timing would have it, a horror sound pack just happened to be on sale in the marketplace. As I was previewing the tracks, the old saying popped into my head - the one about a snowball’s chance in…well you know… :wink:

That’s when the idea hit me - you’re a snowball in a particularly, shall we say, ‘uncomfortable’ place and you must escape before you melt to death. To delay certain watery doom, you can collect various items that either restore health or provide some other temporary enhancement as you progress through each level.

So far I’ve managed to block out a tutorial level with the basic game-play mechanics. There’s definitely room for more polish, but I want to focus on getting the rest of the levels blocked out and tune the game-play before I start adding more detailed effects and geometry. Anyway, here’s a little preview:

I’ve got a bunch of interesting ideas for level challenges and power-ups and I’ve also got a sequence in mind for the end of the final level, but I don’t want to give that away just yet. I’m not sure how many levels the game should be at the moment, but I’ll probably release a playable version when I’ve got at least 3 (and when I can figure out why my package builds are crashing on startup :roll_eyes:). I plan on posting updates to this thread as the project develops.

Will I finish it? Well, I hope there’s more than a Snowball’s Chance that I will…
(sorry, it’s late and I couldn’t help the bad pun :smile: )

7 Likes

Nice! Keep up the good work.

1 Like

wow nice work!

Nice work!

Privacy & Terms