Small Bowling Scene - Island bowling

Here’s my small bowling scene so far.
There are still some things I am not super happy about, such as the material for the water and I had an idea for the bowling ball but I couldn’t get it working, so I am hoping I will learn the skills for it later on.

Anyway, here it is!
Loser has to pick up the pins (and worse, the bowling ball) from the the ocean!

Feedback as always is much appreciated!

11 Likes

Creating an illustration is one part of the process.
Telling a story to the viewer is another part of the process!

The question is, what do you want to express here?

If you like the mood of sunny beaches, holidays, and bowling.
Then maybe a different approach is needed.

I could imagine that you build a basic bowling lane, bowling centre with multiple lanes.
And add features to it, to make it more sunny beach theme.

• Pin textured as pineapple
  • Ball textures as a coconut
  • Backwall a photo of a beach with palm trees and water.
  • tree leaves hanging from the ceiling

so many ideas … Have fun.

3 Likes

Thank you for the ideas!
My idea was to have bowling lanes that were floating on water and people would bowl from the beach into the ocean.
I actually did want to turn the bowling ball into a coconut (that’s why it’s brown) but I started looking into particle systems and hair and realised it’s probably a bit ahead of the level I am currently at with the course.
I plan to come back to this and update once I have more knowledge!
I like the pineapple pin idea though! Will try to include that in the next update!

2 Likes

Everything can be done with a good texture bitmap.
it can be a photo or you draw it by yourself … :wink:
have fun!

1 Like

That’s true.
Perhaps it’s finally time for me to start using textures for materials! I’m worried if I start doing that I’ll want to do it for everything.

It all about learning and what you want to learn.
Modeling, design, particles, materials nodes, animation, realism …
But, don’t stick too long at a challenge, there is much more to learn.
You can always go back with more knowledge and a plan.

1 Like

Good advice! Thank you!
I want to make sure I get the basics down pat before doing anything too fancy, but I always try to put a different spin on the challenges when I can.

1 Like

Great fun setting. You could change it to a coconut shie! Well ok it is a new whole scene. lol.

1 Like

I love the tropical scene with the bowling scene

1 Like

I agree that while the colours all technically are quite pleasing, the scene is a little jarring.

If you had several lanes and essentially the tropical scene as a back or side wall, I think it would work better.

Don’t take this as criticism :hugs:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I actually wanted to turn the bowling ball into a coconut but I couldn’t figure out how to use the hair modifier properly so I’m leaving it for now in the hopes that I can come back to it later with more knowledge

Thank you for the feedback!
I wanted it to be less of a traditional bowling alley and more of a bowling lane by the sea kind of thing but I am curious what part you find jarring!
Too much contrast?

On a side note, any and all feedback is appreciated for any of my posts.
I am here because I want to learn, not because I want to be praised (though obviously that part doesn’t hurt :wink: )!
I’m very new to blender and know I’ve lots to learn!

1 Like

The only thing I find a little jarring is the size of the palm trees right up close to the bowling lane. If they were a bit further back, though not necessarily as far back as the little island on the right, they wouldn’t necessarily be the first thing you see. The bowling lane and bowling ball are what you should see first.

That said, I do like the Depth of Field for the little island in the back, as it does give the impression of distance. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback!

I originally wanted to have palm trees all the way down the lane as a way to mark off where the lane ended (instead of having a gutter) but I can see how it’s a bit overwhelming and takes away the focus from the bowling balls.

I ended up giving the bowling ball a bit of texture (my first time texturing anything! yay!) as well as the lane, and moved the palm trees onto a nearby island instead.

I also spent way too long playing around with the water material, but I think I am happy with how it turned out. No more weird shadows on the water surface.

Thanks for the help everyone!

5 Likes

Nice update. Onwards to the next section!

1 Like

I agree, a very, very nice update. :grinning:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms