When I browsed sign-up options for GameDev.tv, I examined the ‘Create New Account’ by Twitter option but was prompted for authorization of GameDev.tv to post tweets for me and update my profile information. The ‘Update your profile.’ is vague, might be only to involuntarily indicate a new authorization, although the authorization seems to be for intentional updating; the ‘Post tweets for you.’ is asking for too much.
I request the site administrator(s) modify the account creation by Twitter access option to remove the requests that aren’t necessary to verify email. The somewhat invasive request causes you all to seem less professional.

@discourse is there anything that can be done about this?

Hey,
Sure – jump into your Twitter app account and check the settings – this is
configurable.
You’ll notice if you use Twitter auth at mega.discourse.org that the
permissions are different.

@ben I think you have control of that app.

so these are the people who made the forums? I was wondering if Ben was capable of this feat, but I guess it was these discourse people all along, haha. They are very sophisticated forums I’ve been impressed by all the unique features.

1 Like

Hehe, we couldn’t manage to create a state-of-the-art forum as well as all the courses we are making.

2 Likes

ha well, state of the art forum is a new thing to me :stuck_out_tongue:

I have been noticing more advanced stuff in general on other apps/software but never knew people were making it for forums now aswell.

I guess our browsers are evolving out of the stone age with HTML5 stuff, perhaps in pair with better network speeds.

Thanks for raising this @MichaelDB, you’re quite right. Our permissions differed from Discourse’s as follows…

I’ve been in there and had a general spring-clean including adding a link to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Business. I’ve also significantly reduced the permissions as follows…

We don’t even take your email address now, which should set people’s minds at rest.

Thanks again Michael.

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms