Section 4 - the knight - shade flat and shade smooth

I followed the steps on the tutorial but my mirror modifier was not working at all at the beginning. I had to come up with a solution in order to make the modifier work. I’m using blender 2.91. Does anyone know if the mirror modifier works in a different way compared to the 2.8 version?

3 Likes

clarify, please?

You seem to have sorted the issue out but I have not noticed any different behaviours from it with 2.91.

1 Like

Hi!
Well, I started with this object

And when I tried to add the modifier this is what happened

The mirror modifier rotated the other half of the object and I’m not very sure why. I think I might have missed some steps on how to apply the modifier.

1 Like

It is really a strange outcome. I’m using 2.91 can not replay what you showed us.
The strange thing is also you mirror on the X-axis, which should be Y-axis.
But to 135-degree? z-axis rotation is the strange one.

1 Like

After some fiddling with the base starting mesh I got this.

So I think it is not a mirror problem, but a problem in the original mesh construct.
I think you rotated it on the z-axis to align you model for alignment on the Y-ax. Which looks good, but internally Blender still using the original rotation. Difficult to explain.

2 Likes

Did you a manual rotate somewhere in the process?

2 Likes

I think my initial object might have been rotated. I tried the modifier on another object and it was working fine, although the modifier is set up on the X axis by default for some reason. I need to take that into consideration from now on, thanks a lot for the help! :smiley:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms