Section 4, Low Poly Chess Set

I really took the “low poly” part to heart here. I found this really cool minimalistic chess set on the Internet. I thought it would serve as a really stylish setup.

Please be aware these designs are not mine nor am I intending to take authority over them by any means.

I really wanted to credit this person’s work, but I didn’t manage to find out who’s the artist.

I took my chance to divert quite a lot from the course itself and experiment with my workflow, thus I tried stuff like using linked scenes instead of having a multi-user project, experimented with modifiers, and played around with custom shortcuts. Some ideas helped me find my own workflow; some others sunk harder than the Titanic.

Here’s the 3D model in Sketchfab:

Here are some extra angles:

Here’s the main scene rendered with Cycles; I actually really like the Eevee version a lot more this time around:

Finally, a couple of screenshots I took mid-process:

EDIT:
Here are some extra pieces I made to practice:

Please critique it harshly so I can keep improving my work.

Bena.

4 Likes

I really like it, but maybe try doing a higher poly set as well you learn a lot from doing that, that is if you haven’t done so already, but really an interesting set… love the table :+1:

2 Likes

Very nice stylish set.
We all probably try picking things up as we go. Those sinking harder than the Titanic can absorb a lot of time that then was shown later in the course. It’s not a problem so long as it does not discourage and bog you down.

A more complex set design might have taught more modelling skills.

Nice table made for it.

1 Like

Thank you! I made some pieces — the rook, knight, and queen, if I remember correctly — in high-poly at some points of the course for practice. I’m gonna make sure I append them to the post later today.

1 Like

Thank you. Also don’t worry, I’m the kind of person who loves to mess with standards and tinker a lot, even when it seems to get me nothing in return. It’s just fun!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms