Section 1: lesson 11

Hi, my name is Hanson Sofan

So this is the first time I’ve used and learning blender and this is the result of the “well” render I’ve made. The first 3D software I’ve used is 3Ds MAX and now I’m going to learn blender and maya. Sorry if the well seems not good enough, but I’ll try improving it after I mastered blender. BTW you can check my works in at behance page.

2 Likes

The well is looking nice, and even though the software UIs are different, having experience in 3DS Max gives you the edge of working in 3D before.

That’s always a plus, and welcome to the Community. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good model and camera position. But why such an empty space at the right?

1 Like

Welcome to this site.

Nicely done well your experience in other 3d is showing!

Thing is, I follow a DOP principle called “Rule of Third”.

1 Like

Hmm, using the rule of thirds, focuses on one-third of the screen. Which is in the middle but now empty.
The focus is on the well. By using a good camera angle, you try to comply to this rule. And sometimes by adding more items to the scene, a bucket, a wheel-ax …

Have fun!

The rule of thirds is not placing in the middle third. But the focus point of attention is on a third division line. As I understand it. I would agree this well is too far left, I would say about half a well to the right would be about the rot.

RuleOfThirds

2 Likes

Correct, meaning that the object is also mainly visible in the middle.
See the line bird/pole and the horizon ground, mountains and sky.
Also the four intersections, around the middle can be use as guides for other interesting focus parts.
That said, it’s not an exact science.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been using Rule of Thirds for years when rendering in other 3D software. I used to belong to a group where the site owner did webinars to get our skills better, and the Rule of Thirds was one of the webinars that everyone in the group attended.

Since I usually used a standard sized render back then, I created a template of sorts I could put on a layer over my render in Photoshop to judge if I had gotten it right. It always amazed me how different/better a final render looked when it was applied.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms