Screen saver and losing work

Hi there
First post for me here.
Twice I have lost all my code in Visual Studio Code when the screen saver activated. I saved all my work throughout but twice in the last two weeks I have had a phone call that took me away from my computer and when I opened it all up again my Cow Bull c++ code had all gone.

I have moved the screen saver to 1 hour but is there anything else I can do to stop this happening. I can’t screenshot as it is just empty line starting at 1. On the Cow Bull cartridge.
Many thanks
Rfc

Can tell you that I’m not really sure what to do to help you. Technically, it should be fine with a screen saver and even suspend but I would think if its too much for memory or page file/swap maybe that the editor gets lost. It really should depend on the computer and what’s happening.

Another example: If it logs out on screen saver and closes all applications then you would need to stop that.

However, if its not saved to disk then you can get into the habit of pressing the save button a bit more.

Thank you for that. I save regularly with Ctrl s but maybe I should go to file and save more frequently. I will keep an eye on it because it is really infuriating to start from scratch again. Third time lucky :grinning: . Thanks again.

It usually is lol. Its bound to always happen with something. Three times later need a break haha.

Thought of one more thing.

In VSC you can enable auto save which I’m assuming isn’t currently enabled or at least not good enough if it is https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/codebasics#_save-auto-save

You can check that. You can test it by rebooting your computer after the auto save time occurs without manually closing it or something like that or just let the screen saver do it.

Thank you, strangely enough I went and checked that today as it was one of the first things they told us with TripleX and I didn’t know whether it carried through to the next project. It was turned on. I had another thought. My computer has a 256 ssd hard drive so I save all my projects to an external Hard drive and that has always played up with the screen saver so it might be the external hard drive crash issue rather than a VSC issue. Hehe it is like being a detective getting to the bottom of it but it seems to be log out properly and it is all good, so it has taught me good habits :grinning:.

1 Like

Computers are ever so complicated with more and more stuff making worse every year. You’re doing good at the detective work. Keep at it.

Privacy & Terms