Robots, and trees, and wells, Oh my

Hello,

I decided first to do a sunrise with hills and a tree. The hills are just ovals and the backdrop just a square with lights on it. The frame is cubes stretched around the camera. Looks funky when outside of camera mode. Unfortunately the frame got in the way…

The next one is a continuation of the well. The well was doing very well, but while I was sleeping a large robot came looking for water, I do not know why. Maybe it was losing some steam? Regardless, it tore up my well looking for a drink. One brave local managed to take a picture of it.

9 Likes

Wow did is incredible! How long did it take you to make this?

1 Like

Great story and with some more learned Blender skills you should make a short movie from it.

Or a magazine story/cartoon book …!
great stuff!

2 Likes

This took me probably longer than it should have, but certainly less than 12 hours (I think…). Basically I just played. I also got to see the how important the various different Blender features we have not covered will be.

For example: I did not know how to rig my robot up because that was not covered. Since I wanted to limit myself only to those features that were covered thus far in the course, with a few texture exceptions, I moved everything “by hand”. Now I can see how and why linking and rigging will be useful.

Destroying the well took quiet a bit of effort. I had to actually “organize” my destructive chaos. I can see how physics in a program will be useful. But, if anyone was noticing, I removed the water and extended the well “shaft” below ground level.

Both the lowered water level and a destroyed well should be a good conclusion to my Well saga. Hopefully to the satisfaction of NP5 :smile:. The locals may just buy his pump rather than build a new well.

3 Likes

Be patient a lot of Blender subjects will be explained. It is a step by step process.
Rigging it simple but also tough. Lighting is simple but also tough. Same for modelling, sculpting, animation, physics … Just follow the cource(s).

And above all, just have fun with Blender!

2 Likes

Wait till you go through the course a second time, then you can take scenes further with many of those issues already covered from later in the course. It is always tempting to go further than the course does but you do run into hurdles that have not been covered yet.

Still, that well is ruined now! :rofl: Probably contaminated the bore hole with well brick rubble and robot oil.

2 Likes

It was tempting to look up how to rig and how to do some other things. But I contented myself to: click, drag, rotate, drag, move, oops… ctrl + z (x10), oops… ctrl+shift+z(x2)… good? It will do.

Next object: duplicate, click…etc.

Rhythmic and even soothing. Just like the old Lego days :pensive:. It was a pity my mother got rid of them for free. I would have bought them off of her, even if just for nostalgia sake. Probably worth at least 1000 CAD now…which is what, 1 Euro?

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms