Windows or Mac? Dual Monitor?

Hi All,

Just completing one of the challenges in lesson number 6 about the community and introuducing myself.

This is my first time trying out game development; always had ideas, but never the knowledge to create them and finally decided to do something about that.

I have a couple of questions:

Should I invest in a Windows PC? I’m currently using a Macbook.

Is it worth Purchasing dual monitors for watching the lectures on one screen with Unity open in the other?

And are there any early signs that this course may, or may not be for me?

Also if you’re reading this, I appreciate you taking the time to read this and any answers that you might provide.

Thanks,

Richard.

Hi Richard,

I’ll try to address your questions as best I can.

-Invest in PC?

It’s up to you. Some things to consider might be: are you getting a PC exclusively for this course? What else might you use said PC for? There’s a lot of options as far as PC’s go, and they can hoist a hefty pricetag.

I haven’t used Macs very often, but they seem very capable for doing the coursework.
If it’s mostly screen real-estate you’re worried about, you might see if there are options about hooking-up your Macbook to an external monitor.

-Dual Monitors?

If you’re seriously thinking about doing this sort of thing long-term, it might be something to consider. However, if you’re still wetting your toes, I’d recommend not breaking the bank just yet for it. If you’re comfortable simply using “ALT + TAB” (or the Mac equivalent) to switch windows, that’s served me well so far in the course (I’ve been using a single 27’’ monitor for coding and lectures so far, plus used a laptop to watch a couple videos).

If switching windows back and forth becomes agonizing, and you’ve got the dough and desk-space to dish-out, it might really help you out; otherwise, I’d try things out for awhile and see if you really want to keep pursuing this path before committing to a potentially bulky setup.

-Early Signs?

Alas’, I’ve just began this course myself.
My past experience with other courses is that it can be hard to remain completely motivated when the going gets tough. That’s not particularly unusual.

Do you connect with the instructors? Are you able to grasp the concepts reasonably well when being taught? Do you know what subject material is covered in the course? At this point in time, are you excited to keep going forward and learn how to create games?

An affirmative answer to each is a good sign this can be a positive experience for you.

Hope this helps!
-Dan-

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Really appreciate your answers!

Taking in all this information from you I think I will keep going with my what I’ve got and maybe just hook up my laptop to a TV screen if I’m desperate for another monitor. If I end up really in to game development I think I will buy a PC (It would definitely have more than one purpose; always wanted to get in to PC gaming)

So far I am thoroughly enjoying the course, but I get the feeling I haven’t even really started. I know this isn’t going to be easy and this is all about perseverance. I just hope that this clicks with me because I really want to start creating my own games.

Thanks again for the answer, it was a big help!

Richard.

1 Like

I’m happy to be of help, Richard.

That sounds like a good, safe plan to me. There’s so much to learn!

I know I have to be careful to not burn myself out too quickly, as I’ve done trying to learn programming in the past. This course seems like one of the best tools I’ve had to feel like I’m gradually accomplishing something.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
-Dan-

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms