Question about multiple objects for a single model

Hi. I have previous experience with 3d modelling and animation with Maya and using these courses so I can use the skills I already have with Blender. When in university I was taught that it is considered bad practice with Maya to use multiple objects/meshes within a single model. Basically a model should be a single mesh with no overlapping faces. However, while working through the early stages of ‘Complete Blender Creator 2.8: Learn 3D Modelling for Beginners’ I have noticed this isn’t brought up and seems to be sometimes encouraged to use different meshes for a model. Is this a difference between Blender and Maya? Are there circumstances where using different meshes would be the “correct” thing to do?

Thanks
Wazzer225

1 Like

Welcome to this site.
Take some time to look around and take part, support, and encourage other students.

Like so much ‘it depends’. On what the model is for mostly.

Some challenges and lessons are not based on best workflow and practices.
The teacher just shows the possibilities of working with Blender.
Blender does accept multiple meshes inside a single object.

And intersecting faces is also not a technical problem for Blender.

So students don’t need to worry about this. But I think that you are right in the way you are teached according to Maya lessons. It’s more about best practices.

Hidden faces are wrong in the way that they consume memory and calculation time.
Meshes can be grouped using an empty of collection. And then more maintainable.

Use your structured way to learn Blender, I think it will help you to improve your professionalism.

2 Likes

Thanks for the really helpful reply. I’m looking forward to attempting more complex models in Blender and testing my skills, however still learning the interface and differences to what I am used to. So little steps at a time for now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms