Question about bone in a character

14 AM

I am wonder the bone inside the character is it wrong rotation, is it should be straight?
Or it is advanced rigging system?

thank you.

Hi Siew_Wun_Lee,

It really depends what you want to do with the bone. If you are using a bone to deform the mesh then usually bone should be set in a way that it follows the mesh (so, inside the geometry). But bones can also be used to control other bones e.g inverse kinematics and constraining locations, rotations etc and then it have more meaning how the bone is set up.

I think it’s quite common to have these control type of bones set so that the tip points outwards or at least 90 degrees with the deforming bones so you have better control and visualisation of the bones in all.

Try searching some simple tutorial videos from the youtube how to rig a character and you probably get a better understanding what and how bones can / will be placed.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Jax

1 Like

@Jax
so it means that for controller bone like IK it will be lay down
and for others bones that deform mesh will be straight (follow mesh)
am I right?

the model above import from fbx file, which is change from 3DS maya file
so I am thinking is it because of changing file type lead to the bone change direction.

it is not normal that all bones r lay down, work as controller, right?

Thank you for ur help. Hope u get my meaning.

Well. I am not quite sure what you mean with “lay down” but deforming bones usually follow the topology “inside the mesh” since they control the deform. So, for example, for a human rig you have feet deforming bones on global z axis. (if the mesh has been built so it is standing up and is aligned with global z axis.

If those bones in your picture are deforming bones (you can check this in properties window from the bone tab) then they do look incorrect. Also the naming of the bones suggest that Spine1 would be child of Pelvis so the rotation look incorrect.

Also bone relation ship lines in the picture indicate the relations between Spine1 and Pelvis and it looks really weird if they would have been designed that way.

So yes, I am almost certain (99%) that bone rotations are incorrect. Without seeing the .blend file I don’t know how easy or difficult it would be to fix the issue. I suppose it depends a bit also about the total amount of bones.

Cheers, Jax

1 Like

thanks for ur help and explaination, appreaciate @Jax

1 Like

Privacy & Terms