Question 5 in Quiz 28: Rect Tool

Hello!

Question 5:
What is the purpose of the pivot?

• The location about which we scale and rotate.
  • The location about which we rotate.

According to Udemy, the correct answer is the first one. But when I use the Rect Tool to scale an image (by dragging one of the corner circles in Scene view), the image doesn’t scale about the pivot point – it stretches from the opposite corner.
If I use the Scale Tool and drag the white box in the center, then yes, the image scales outwards from the center.
Do I have some misunderstanding with the wording of the question?
Thanks.

Hey there, @Pookie_Mitchell!

I think the wording is a little bit confusing. You can think of “pivot” here as synonymous with a static point. Phrased a different way, that answer choice says “When we rotate or scale the object, the pivot point is the part of the image that will not move, no matter what.” If you try to scale from the pivot point in Unity (say our pivot is bottom-left), you’ll notice it doesn’t actually allow you to do so.

The pivot point is what allows Unity to have a clear reference on which to base transformations. By marking a corner as “pivot”, Unity now knows what offsets to use for rotations to pixels, as well as where to start interpolation for scaling.

Does that help? If anything is unclear, don’t hesitate to ask! It’s late and I’m not 100% sure this explanation is watertight!

Privacy & Terms