Welcome To The Unity Skill Builder! (And, A Question For You...)

Challenge Club has been renamed to Skill Builder!

Game Dev Skill Builder helps you get better at Game Development by providing you with weekly challenges where you fix and improve game projects.

Everyone is welcome, however we recommend that you’ve completed at least a few sections of one of our Complete Unity Developer courses (or equivalent Unity learning) before joining Skill Builder.

Because this is a place for people to practice and improve their game dev skills we ask that everyone is supportive and kind to one another. Be generous with your hints but careful with your spoilers, and remember that there are many, many ways to solve a challenge.

And we have a QUESTION FOR YOU: what type (genre) of game are you most interested in solving challenges for? Let us know in the comments below.

Good luck!

21 Likes

I quite enjoy FPS type games, solving those would be quite fun :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am interested in RTS type of challenges to solve for.

8 Likes

I’m interested in turn based games, those should be interesting to solve

5 Likes

I’d be interested in tackling a turn-based game too.

2 Likes

I would be interested in all of those and then thought what about

• A retro game like Pacman for people who are new to Unity
  • Turn based Xcom style for intermediate
  • A Battle Royale style maybe local 4 player for advanced?
1 Like

Hi all!
I am mostly focused on Survival, RPG and FPS or combinations of the above. So would be interested in mechanincs that will keep the player coming back (crafting, building, levling etc.), along with inventories and the like.

1 Like

2D RPG or mini-games that could be incorporated into larger games, like for fishing and crafting

5 Likes

I would be mostly interested in automation or building sims, something along the lines of:

• Oxygen Not Included
  • Loop Hero
  • Satisfactory

I also find inspiration in Action-Roguelikes:

• Spelunky
  • Binding of Isaac
  • Rogue Legacy

What also fasctinates me are mini-games that incorporate well in larger experiecnes, like:

• Lockpicking in Skyrim/Oblivion
  • Fishing and Pet Battle and catching system from WoW
  • Hacking mini games from System Shock 2 and Cyberpunk 2077
4 Likes

All of the above are great examples and genres that I’d love to work with in the challenge club!

I would also be interested in a dungeon crawler / roguelike game.

Something along the lines of Rogue Legacy, Hades.

1 Like

If you’ve ever played SpiritFarer, the way the rooms on the ship can slot together in any arrangement and how the NPCs then navigate the ship would make a great challenge.
(Also the zip lining is super fun- there’s a lot of fun mechanics in that game)

1 Like

I think a procedurally generated game like Counter Spy would also be good fun!

it was made in Unity and is great on the playstation.

Kurt

1 Like

I would love to do more complex procedural generation. So far we’ve done blocks in an empty 3D space and sprites in a big square 2D room. That’s fine and everything but its not what makes procedural generation so difficult. For example in a 2D rogue-like there are different corridors and rooms and they all connect up seamlessly. I did something like that for my Hide and Seek game but the rooms were all the same size and door was always in the same place (and even that was a bit of a pain, mostly because it was 3D and there was a whole other axis to deal with when calculating the position!)

2 Likes

Personally, anything in the tower defense genre.

2 Likes

I am with you Hazel, Procedural Generation is “Tight” so would love to learn more.

Kurt

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of RPG type games.

2 Likes

Oh, that is an interesting questions!
I do have number of thins I would like to add - as a die hard Disgaea-fan, I would like to make strategic rpg.

But, I also would like to have jump into sport games.

I could repeat some suggestions which were already made but I will skip that. Expect for the Tower Defence game!

1 Like

I have a new obsession and request heh. 2.5D - specifically 2D sprites in a 3D environment - either on a simple plane or a more complex terrain

2 Likes

Isn’t 2.5d a game in 2d space with 3d looking graphics?

1 Like

It used to be but these days it seems to encompass anything that isn’t entirely one or the other (I’ve even seen it used to describe games that are entirely 3D but uses a fixed axis camera - like a side scroller), hence why I clarified which kind I was interested in

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms