Proper folder structure for projects?

Hey all, a brief backround;I’m a student of blender of about 4-5 years, and like a lot of people I originally started out doing mods for games. (Medieval II total war and a few others) And along the way I learned quite a Lot. To the point where I can model most any humanoid character. And am decent at hard-surface modelling (All while using primarily Polygonal modelling no less!)

But, I have been having a bit of trouble making the transition from amateur to professional. I plan in the future to sell 3D models commercially on various sites like Turbosquid, and one of the big things I’ve been told is how in order to be an efficient modeler and content producer you need to have a proper file structure. So, what are some good examples of this? I’ve asked this question to some other modellers and content creators on youtube in the past and I’ve not gotten very much information on this subject. Does anyone have any concrete answers for this? Thanks.

Edit; Also, I’ve gotten the answer several times in the past “it depends on the project” so to be clear about what project I will be working on, it will be primarily Characters in static poses and basic 3D shapes. Things like chairs, tables, forks, shields/swords ect ect.

I plan to make fully animated set-pieces, and rigged characters complete with shape-keys and the like for people to buy on the Unity Asset store in the future. But that is a ways down the road, as I’m still learning rigging and not yet ready for that.

Not sure if you’ve seen this, but it may be along the lines of what you’re looking for.

Yeah I’ve seen that, it’s pretty nice! Although that particular convention is not really for me, as I tend to have to make several edits to my models and keep backups of them nearby.

Privacy & Terms