Progress on the Orc - clothing and "armor" sculpted

6 Likes

Awesome… you are putting a lot of effort.

2 Likes

His right shackle (your left side), is formed around his muscle/arm model. It makes is less natural and look like part of the body. The left one is too big, it will slide over its hand …

But that said, it is a good model to start with. Love the tiny veins and hands.

1 Like

You are right. I’ve seen something was off, but I couldn’t put my fingers on it… that’s why the one shackle is too big… I think I’ve made lower arm too muscular for a shackle. It matches some of my reference images, but it’s not good for those kind of accessories. :thinking: I might need to re-do it and maybe use something else as a reference then only Grant’s video… maybe Thanos gunlet (without the hand part).

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

:thinking: I just re-watched that lecture and the intersection with the orc hand is “by design”. After you make made me aware of it - I don’t like it. Any pointers how to make a shackle with that kind of musculature that doesn’t stick out or intersects with the body? Shrinkwarp seems to deform the shackle part too much for it…

1 Like

With such muscular forearms, those bracelets will just fall off over his hands! Make the hands bigger?

2 Likes

Making hands bigger… that’s something that would definitely help… Now that I look at my references I see that the hands are too small… Though I will leave the hands as they are for now as I will never finish the course. Let’s call him: Gurukk “small-handed”, the bane of the goblins :sweat_smile:.

After the course I plan to do the other orc, so I will (hopefully :crossed_fingers:) get the proportions of the hands right. Now I’m trying to work around the issue and I come up with those designs:

It’s not even intersecting his body (yet :sweat:)

but during the sculpting I’ll need to move those parts of the “shackle” closer to the body:

For the other hand I came up with this:

Any feedback on those designs before I spent another couple of hours sculpting them?

2 Likes

If you push in the back of the Cylinder in third image it should solve the logical issues of falling off the hands. Not doing this course But if they are separate items Then it seems straight forward to bash them out of round to be tighter.

2 Likes

Yes, they are separated object. Right now the problem is that I have a shrinkwrap modifier which makes it clunky to modify the object in precise way. After I finish checking the shape I will apply the modifiers and then change the cylinder to be tighter matching the lower arm at the end.

In the course the problem of “falling off” is avoided, but only due to making the shackle bite deep into hand of the orc. That’s the shackle (before sculpting) in the course:

1 Like

I had wondered if it ended up all one object, shackle welded to the arm so never moves sort of thing. Which I would find unsatisfying. But in an animation I guess few would notice.

2 Likes

I’m not sure yet, but I think it is. At least that’s how it looks like in the promo video. Possibly it’s easier from a game engine perspective as well…

OK, one more iteration on the “shackle” (which is now a gauntlet and a bracelet) :

That’s with modifiers applied, some changes to geometry, just before sculpting…

2 Likes

I like them both!
But, the upper one, the biggest one is more like a leather forearm support (clothing thingy).
The lower one more metal. Just my two cents …

1 Like

I don’t know if I can pull this off, but the “perfect” gauntlet would be both from leather and metal… Something like this:

or this:

1 Like

Lol, I will probably re-do the gauntlet once again as separate objects for leather part and for metal thingies :wink:

Ok, I think I did it… as well as I can right now:

And close ups:

I left earrings and nose-bone without details as they are too little to be seen…

3 Likes

So handy that spike on his left hand! Keeps his own fork with him for any snacks throughout the day. :fork_and_knife:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms