Procedural Content Generation

yes and multiplayer was there to

(where did unreal multiplayer course go anyway?)

let this be a course plz

I would really like to see some insight into procedural mesh geometry. I attempted it a while ago in the early days of UE4 and it was a difficult task indeed, my implementation was based on the marching cubes algorithm, but I was never able to finish.

I am also interested in stitching static maps together similar to what they do in Diablo 3, for those who aren’t familiar, they use maps with mostly static art, but have zones of the map that can vary dramatically.

Would buy in an instant! Most interesting topic so far.

1 Like

Yessss! this would be a great course! I would love to hear about environment, and dungeon generation!

A in depth tutorial of Procedural generation of space scenes, terrain, planet, stars & nebula’s as well as other assets such as what you’d see in No Man’s Sky would be an idea I’d like to see. I do think it would end up being an intermediate or advanced course though.

There are some tutorials out there which teach procedural generation, I’ve found a couple on Udemy, however there is not very much out there that goes in depth and into the very advanced phases.

Isometric dungeons like Path of Exile in Unreal Engine!

1 Like

Procedural generation would be something I’d definitely be interested in, I especially love @McFuzz’s idea, story generation would be amazing. I’d love NPC generation, lore/quest generation, ect.
Also, I’d love to learn more about tracking the opinion an NPC has of the player character if that hasn’t already been covered :slight_smile:

1 Like

would like it too!

I think this one is so key, especially for a small team. If I have a good idea, and it plays well, I need a way to keep a player engaged level after level. The way I see it, there are two ways to do that, I can either meticulously design each level by hand, and then test it, or I can set up the rules for PCG and let the engine design the levels for me. Bonus points for things like changing textures and the layout to go with it (ie. snow levels, desert levels, forest levels, etc.).

Thinking about it, PCG may not even make it in to the end result, you may just use it to rapidly try different layouts, saving the best ones and then manually tweaking them!

1 Like

Another Procjam goes by and I still have no idea where to start with procgen. Please, please, please can we get some good news on this subject! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m all on board with PCG as a topic. I know I absolutely would love to learn how to apply it especially to UE4 if it’s at all possible with terrain meshes.

1 Like

I’d love to learn how to get Unreal to procedurally generate a dungeon or similar environment.

Any update for the future planning for this course?
I can not wait, and already order a similar course from Udemy. However, I am still interesting to take this course when it is available.

Whilst at a recent gaming event, saw a spellbinding new game called Fugl. Check it out on Steam if you haven’t already.

The programmer, Gorm (who will hopefully join us here), was a great guy and would be very helpful to talk to when we get to this content and to Build your Own Game Engine!.

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m following here, any news about this ?

I would love to see this integrated in Unity 2.0 course especially procedural generation like we saw in popular games like Star Citizen / Infinity Universe / Elite Dangerous where we can see whole procedural galaxy, planets, terrains. Not especialy fps level generation or voxel based games.

Thanks in advance!

Suggest we roll this into Maths for Games - A Fresh Start for Mathematics

4 Likes

Does this have been rolled into?
I’m upvoting here because it’s still one of my concern.
With Unreal Engine 5 out, could this be a better moment to dive in procedural content, different types of LODs, massive open worlds and galaxies?

Who knows what GameDev.TV could prepare for us on the background! :slight_smile:

It would be awesome if this course idea, or maybe the 3rd person combat course could include some procedural animation.

Ideas for the course to include:

1. Foot placement on uneven terrain with inverse kinematics (possibly with more than 2 legs)
  2. Animation rigging

Privacy & Terms