Problem with bishop mesh data

Hi! After link duplicating my bishop in the chess scene, there seems to be an issue with my bishop mesh data. It does look like it’s the same data (if I rename it, it changes the name for both objects), but when I go into edit mode, I can only edit one of the meshes…

Have I done a wrong manipulation? It feels like keeping the modifier to this point is just creating problems. Wouldn’t be easier to just apply the boolean modifier before starting to link-duplicate it?

Thanks for the help! I’m really enjoying this class :slight_smile:

David

Link duplication means exactly what it does. It make a linked copy, so you edit one, where the linked duplicates changes also. You can change the name for each duplicated object. But, the name of the mesh data count for all. Because the mesh data is linked as in dunplication, not the object it self.

I see you are also using the boolean too. To make it less complicated for yourself, apply the boolean, before linked duplication.

1 Like

I might have not been clear in my question. I meant to say that going into edit mode would edit only one of my bishop, but not affect the other, despite them being linked.

I deleted my second bishop, and applied the modifier, then re-linked / copy and then it worked as I expected. I was just wondering why it didn’t modify both when the modifier was still there and if it was a normal behaviour (or if it was the result of a mis-manipulation on my end).

1 Like

I think is a process change in the the modifer is not coming across when you link duplicate the bishop.
To be honest i applied the modifier as i know we arent going to be editing the bishop again once its been linked.
Its possibly that using the linked duplicates and proxies in the later sections will negate this issue and its just this simple method that has been lost.

Ok I see! Thanks for your answer!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms