Pivot - I got carried away again

So my little trap door with a pivot didn’t really turn out as initially intended. Honestly I did make that first - but as the title says, I got a bit carried away, again.

It actually inspired me to publish my first ever video on YouTube, if you’ve got 5 seconds, please take a look (if not, no worry):

Here’s a single frame render. I know, my lighting is terrible.

To track the camera I used this short video as a resource: Camera Follow/Track Object | Quick Tip | Blender 2.8 - Grant Abbitt

12 Likes

I wouldn’t call the lighting terrible, it’s just a bit too much. Maybe adjust it down to a lower level of light, because the way it appears as the chest of gold is opened, looks good, just a bit blinding.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but looks like you set up the “gold” to be emissive, and that’s what’s making it a bit too much, so see if you can lower the emission, as that may just do the trick. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually didn’t set it (the gold) as emissive, that’s just bloom set high which I had of course - Pulp Fiction, a little bit in mind. So I was gleefully setting that high. I’ve also got 3 small lights in there, which rise up slightly as the lid opens. It basically hides the lack of detail in filling the chest with gold pieces.

It’s the World I had a hard time trying to control. I’ve got a Night HDRI, plus I’ve tried your encompassing sphere suggestion (instead of my usual cube) - not sure if the HDRI and the sphere (or cube) is double bagging unnecessarily, or if that’s somewhat typical usage.

The only way I could exercise any control (unsatisfactorily) over the world (I think under world properties) was with Colour Management tab, and there are 2 sliders.

But they just went from too washed out (2nd slider), to immediately too dark, despite lots of trying to tweak and trying varying contrast options.

I know I’ve lots to learn with lighting. Lots of practice should see me improve and some advice along the way.

1 Like

@bOBaN clearly gets that it’s not just any old gold - it’s Magical Gold !

3 Likes

Everything in Blender can be animated.
So animate also the strength of bloom, light, etc.
I can imagine that the gold has a strong glow, but when the chest is opened, it is lowered and you see the gold better. Just an idea to keep you busy …

… not really, but if you have fun, you can try.

2 Likes

Animated bloom is definitely getting a mental marker for the near future and the next 3 minute follow along that turns into a couple of hours - appreciate all the tips.

1 Like

While it is clearly unrealistic, the effect is fine as a fantasy magic, highly radioactive! gold chest opening. :grin:
Blender has all sorts of effects that have their place and use cases.

Thanks, and it was really only initially started to practice pivot point & rotation.

All the rest is trial and error stuff.

1 Like

I know what you mean , its Sooooooo easy to get carried away when your modelling in blender

1 Like

Privacy & Terms