Pawn Model

Here’s the final design I settled on for my pawn. It’s not really low poly; I’ve got 1,088 vertices, 1,260 faces, and 2,168 tris haha But it is the image that I had in mind when I set out to make this chess set! The rook, knight and bishop will have 3 crystal supports and the king and queen will have 4. They will have different floaty head bits as well. I think the final texture I want for the pieces will be a brushed metal. When it’s all laid out I’d like to do a short animation of the crystals and maybe the floaty head bits bobbing slowly up and down. I think the black pieces will glow blue and the white will glow red, the classic match up!

Thanks for looking!

9 Likes

This is incredible! Please make all the chess pieces like this!

1 Like

Awesome !!!

1 Like

Polycount can be important.
In these challenge lessons, they use it for the simplicity of the things they will explain.
It is a method to learn specific Blender (core) functions.

In a gaming environment, render speed is of importance.

1 Like

Thank you @Kevin-Brandon and @Rao! It was fun and interesting to play with. This morning I thought he looked a bit wide through the hips, so I did a little tinkering and came up with a slightly better silhouette. It turns out I use blender like an art pad and start with a sketch and improve on it as I go along haha. And I know, @FedPete, the point of the exercise was to get used to working within parameters for game design and efficiency , but I couldn’t help it! Inspiration struck, and the call must be answered you know :grin:

So here’s a slimmed down version, with the white piece making an appearance as well!

5 Likes

Love this!
The floating heads is a great idea :ok_hand:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms