Pawn and project structure

I decided to transition from 16 sides to 8 sides in the upper part to be closer to the course and get more of the techniques.

I try to get it 3D printable so I try to not make to sharp overhangs.

For the project organization I decided to have single files for each asset and model. Models can get Materials, but the final materials will be defined in the end result file. I want to have reusable models and want to keep that way of organization throughout my work with Blender.

I think having the materials defined in the models and the end result provides me with the benefit of having models that I can quickly integrate into a new scene and being able to easily switch the materials of the model to the combined materials of the end scene. With only one material on a model the benefit is not that great, but if a model uses many different materials, it is way easier to just select a different material in a dropdown menu than to have to go into edit mode and assign materials to different faces of the model.

A drawback I can think of is the possibility to forget changing a model material to the scene material, but I think I can live with that.

4 Likes

Looks a good low poly pawn. It will print out low poly faceted look too.

There are many, many ways to organize your models, textures, materials, and animations.
Best practices:

• Name your objects, materials, etc. descriptive, like “upper_arm.L”, “wooden_barrel”, …
  • Use collections to organize “Chessboard”, “Chess pieces”.
  • Clean-up your object mesh, prepare to be re-usable. Scale = 1, always use real dimensions.
  • Think about “Append” & “Link” Blender options.
  • Structure project folders; assets, textures, references, generated …

Have fun.

1 Like

I’ve found a good use for Append. I didn’t realize opening a .blend file I created in Blender 2.79 in Blender 2.93 doesn’t give you the option to do any editing or modelling. It opens with less viewports available. Sooo, I decided to try appending it into a new scene in version 2.93, and it worked!

Needless to say, I was pleased to see I had another option for opening an older file in the newer Blender version, as I’ve never had that issue with older versions before. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms