Palette of Slimes and Balls

I’m working on creating a palette for all my game art so I can limit the colours and be consistent in all my pieces. To test out the palette I tried recreating the slimes and the balls from the course.

The first row is the slime I made in the course, copying the instructor.
The 3rd row is the “good” palette using fully saturated colours, the 4th row is the “bad” version. The 2nd row is the “good” one using a slight desaturation on the base colour and first shadow shade.
The 5th row is the balls in the good palette and the last one if the same but with the slight desaturation.

I’m not 100% happy in all the toning, especially on the yellows and greens. Any feedback/advice is appreciated

6 Likes

This is a really cool idea. Impressive. Are you planning to make a game with the different colored slimes ?

I like the third and fifth rows the best so I guess that means I like the “good” color pallet. I’ve noticed the outline is generally the darkest shade, maybe experiment with expressing the outlines differently? Especially with other colors in the background.

No, I just find it easier to see how the shades are working using objects rather than on a palette.

The outlines didn’t show up well on the black background but I prefer the darker shade rather pure black for my outlines.

I’ve tweaked the saturation and some of the toning some more on the top 2 rows, I’m getting happier with the result. I’ve toned the yellow in a different direction and darkened the outlines on the greens. I think I might tweak the magenta a little more, a bit more blue in the shadow and I’m considering dropping the values on the yellow, bright green and cyan because the highlights are very washed out

1 Like

Privacy & Terms