One man Unreal Project

I thought this was an interesting game…first thought it was made by a big team…but no its one guy doing literally all of it. Its going viral.

12 Likes

This is amazing

1 Like

That’s a one-person project!!! That can’t be right, it looks far too amazing to just be a one person project.

That’s it I’m giving up right now and go and live under a rock :grinning:.

Even if this is genuinely one man’s work, there’s nothing to say the game is actually fun. Fun can be found in the simplest of games, don’t be demotivated!

What would you say @Rick_Davidson?

Yeah, this game looks incredible. Not just beautiful landscapes and models but also complex gameplay. The combat looks fun for sure.

For those looking at this and saying “I couldn’t do this”, I’d suggest you don’t be so hard on yourself. You can absolutely do anything you put your mind to -> and invest enough time into getting good at <-

Obviously the guy who made this is very good. And clearly works very hard if this is the result of 2 years of work. This is most likely not his first rodeo! And thats all part of being comfortable being an apprentice while aspiring to be a master. His character modeling and animation looks very masterful.

From what I can tell, the game is not released to be played yet, so don’t assume that everything you see is gameplay. For the one moment where the player is running along and does a move and all of the landscape appears - I suspect that this is smoke and mirrors video editing for now as a preview of an upcoming (and super cool feature).

If you start with asset packs (eg. fighting animation, particle effects, landscapes) and then alter them to make them your own you can sometimes save a lot of time. The particle effects (all the explosions and blade swooshes) really make this come to life. You guys can right now go to the asset store, buy a $30 particle pack, make tweaks and changes and have some wicked looking effects. Play to your strengths and try to buy your way through the other areas. I imagine that in the upcoming Unity RPG course we’ll be showing people how to make their own killer particle effects (or at least edit and alter the ones we supply).

The other thing I would strongly add is that this guy is playing to his particular strengths and making the sort of game that he clearly loves. For 1 man games I love Undertale as an example. Its a very different game to LSA but equally compelling / fun and it has been very successful. The goal here is creating the sort of immersion where the player becomes the character, gets lost in the world and wants to know what happens next. You guys can create that sort of experience in any game, no matter how flashy the art, animation and SFX look.

5 Likes

It’s cool, but it’s no block breaker that’s for sure!

In all serious though this does look phenomenal. It’s interesting to read the comments about the potential to create high quality products. I think @ben makes a good point though. I already feel like with the limited skills I have learned, the potential to create a fun or interesting concept is already there if you take the time to think about your design!

I am impressed with the quality of work this solo developer puts out, which is probably why Sony reached out and offered him an exclusive initial release on the PS4.

I did some research on his project and found that he had been working on it for TWO years before releasing the trailer! He hopes with the viral interest and having reached out to some other devs to be finished by 2018. Will definitely be looking out for it!

1 Like

This game looks absolutely amazing! It’s hard to believe that one guy worked on this alone and was able to create beautiful graphics. I am more curious of how the game play is though and am eager to try it out!

I’m pretty sure that I read a while back that even though he was working on it solo, he had purchased some assets to help him along. So yeah, certainly don’t feel discouraged. He’s got to the stage he’s at with passion and that’s what should be taken from this.
I heard recently that Sony dropped a bunch of money his way to fund development and ensure it gets onto their consoles. Inspirational.

To be honest, this does not discourage me… it inspires me! I’ve been learning programming and 3D art, also will be learning music. My wife sometimes allows me to buy assets if I need them (I may make money, but she controls it lol). I sometimes put in six to ten hours a day learning and honing my skills… seven days a week. This just proves that one man’s hard work could really pay off.

2 Likes

The game is definitely looks amazing, specially the complex combo moves. But you know what they say, the “Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with the First Step”

Dredging up an old thread, but it looks like he just put out a PSX demo trailer yesterday with a bit of polish on it. Lost Soul Aside PSX 2017 Special Demo OP

I’m getting a lot of Devil May Cry vibes from this one, with the fast paced action, combo-strings and general combat style - which is not a bad thing at all.

According to a GamingBolt article, published Oct 20th 2017:

The game is now being worked on by a team known as Ultizero Games and they are a part of PlayStation’s China Hero Project.

Source: https://gamingbolt.com/sony-comments-on-lost-soul-aside-game-gets-new-developer-footage

Privacy & Terms