Not Getting Perfect shadows!

See when i keep light close

And when I keep light somewhat far from the board

Can I get to know why my shadows aren’t coming when I keep the light somewhat far?
As in the video, the shadows are coming when light kept far
Please help me what is wrong with my scene!

Couple of things Michael mentioned in the lecture:

• Scale (The scale of your scene affects the shadows and what a Watt means in context of your scene)
  • Distance (If your softness is high, the shadow will be completely blurred for a distant light source)

Not mentioned in this lecture but covered in the animated lamp module:

• Geometry (Shadows require well-tesselated geometry to be cast on or it will look weird. any issues with normal directions will ruin shadows and lighting in general.)
  • Eevee settings (Lots of buffers required to make shadows and volumetrics work and lots to tweak there)
1 Like

Jaco beat me to it by about a minute :smiley:
Nice job!

Bias in the shadow settings is one that i find helps quite a bit later on as well.

Thanks @Jaco_Pretorius

1 Like

I am really a beginner to this, but really sorry I didn’t understand what you told to do. Can you please tell it in a easier way?

Also: I just noticed now your light radius is massive. A large radius will blur shaddows a lot… so maybe check how it looks with 0cm radius.

This is your standard scene units:
This is a 40x40m plane with a 2x2x2m cube (similar to starting scene (notice the “Dimensions” in the info panel on the right - here it is showing the 40m squared plane)):

This is a 2x2x2cm cube in the same scene:

Because its scale is too small compared to the scene scale, the shadow will not show.

How to fix:
Scale your scene down to a smaller scale e.g.:
Then scale all of your objects up by 100. This will put your objects in a reasonable scene-scale where shadows will register:

In other words: make sure your objects are within a reasonable scale of your scene scale… So if your Scene scale in 1m then your objects should be in the 1m range… things in the cm or mm scale would be too small, and things in the km range too large. Always adjust your scene scale to be in the range of what you’re modeling or volumetrics and shadows will not look right.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Sorry to say but scaling the scene didn’t help me see my scene is still same

Yes, sorry, I noticed this a bit late… hoping you were going to try this first…

I even tried that at first, it did not help me?

Your light is pretty much inside the your chessboard if those transform properties are correct… have you tried positioning your light to a place where it makes sense for it to cast shadows? Like, for instance, above the board and not inside it?

1 Like

I am really sorry to bother you, i had not watch the lecture properly and got to know that my exponent wasn’t turned on!
But really thank you!
I have learned a lot from your previous post

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms