My ten axes

Drawing on a glass with an iPen is probably not the best way to learn drawing technique, but here’s what I ended with.

7 Likes

Those are all fantastic and if that’s what the result of using ‘not the best’ drawing experience is, I can’t imagine how great you’d be with something you’re more comfortable with! Great job :fire:

1 Like

Thank you, you are being too kind! The problem is that it feels nothing like pencil and paper, so I am not training my hand for propper movements.

2 Likes

Yeah that drawing on glass feeling is icky isn’t it. You’re probably already aware of it as an option, but there are matte screen protectors available for the ipads which feel like paper. Paperlike are arguably the most well known and highest quality, though they aren’t exactly cheap: https://paperlike.com/collections/ipad-accessories/products/paperlike-for-ipad

I’m fortunate enough to have access to a display tablet also, so I’m doing exercises 3 times over on paper, ipad and tablet, just to get the whole experience.

[I’m not sure on the links policy here on gamedev.tv, whether I’ve just committed a sin by providing a link or not, so apologies in advance if I have!]

1 Like

Yeah, I am aware of Paperlike, and yes it’s expensive and also it tends to sand away a pencil’s tip. Another option is silicon caps for the pencils, although I am not sure if they are any good.

1 Like

I found replacing the screen protector every 5 or 6 months, and buying more nibs to be the only acceptable solution myself. Have tried several silicone tips but just couldn’t get on with how inaccurate they made everything feel due to being quite thick and them offering resistance rather than any tactile feedback.

Your mileage may vary. Hope you find something decent for it on your travels!

2 Likes