My Smooth Knight

I’ve been making all my pieces smooth for the chess board. For the mane, I just checker deselcted the different segments and moved them in/out to create a wavy pattern. I also added eyes and nostrils.

I spent a lot of time figuring out the best way to do this with the mirror modifier and I found a way that worked best for me. Like in the lecture, I had problems with clipping when I scaled my half circles. If I used clipping, when I scaled the half circles, it put all the vertices that would have crossed the mirror plane at the same point. This caused weird distortions in the geometry because some of my rings wouldn’t have the same number of segments depending on how much I scaled them. Buttttt, if I didn’t use clipping, the vertices would just cross the mirror plane.

My solution: only scale the half ring on the y axis (x-axis is mirror axis). This keeps the same number of segments while allowing me to change the y dimension of the knight. To change the x dimension, grab all the vertices in the half ring except the ones on the mirror plane, scale in x, then move in x. Here is a short video of how I did it in case anybody is interested. This method kept my knight pretty smooth while also keeping the geometry neat and manageable.

knight_demo

2 Likes

Great work and solution.

Privacy & Terms