My learning journey with Blender 2.8

Thank you, FedPete for your comment, especially for your word “magical”. :slight_smile: That´s what I´m aiming for in pictures. The combination of light, architecture, mood, atmosphere, magic.

1 Like

That sounds very interesting Kevin-Brandon and it is a great challenge.Good luck!

1 Like

Today I have experimented with loopcut smoothness again and modeled a small eastern basket.

grafik

3 Likes

That looks good!

1 Like

Thank you, Kevin-Brandon. :slight_smile:

A scene with a water bassin. Modeling is so much easier then texturing…But I keep on exercising… Today I have experimented with ambient occlusion.waterbasin%204

waterbasin%208 waterbasin%209 waterbasin%2010

5 Likes

This is amazing! Teach me your ways!

1 Like

Thanks Kevin,

I am still a Blender Newbie…but I can give you some hints: I am leaning with a few Blender Courses here on Udemy. Then I love the tutorials of Blender Cookie, Blender Guru ( a little bit too difficult, but interesting), and some other Blender stuff on youtube.
When you read many posts in this community you can also learn a lot of things, a small information here, another important information there.

I like to practise on a daily basis ( 10 minutes - 4 hours) . I work as a freelancer, so I can work at any time… My friend and I watch TV not every day, 3-4 in the week, only for 10 - 20 minutes…So we have a lot of time for projects like Blender learning. I like to do running-sessions while I am watching tutorials. I hate sitting on a chair… Half of the Blender-time I watch videos and make notes and make running exercises. I write my own tutorials to learn with more intensity.

I prefer to learn one small thing at the moment and repeat it a lot of times. I watch the vids in the courses also several times and I make a lot of notes. Sometimes I repeat them and look only after my notes. I love to watch them with 1.25 pace or more…

I love hardsurface modeling and sculpting and lighting, but I hate nodes and texturing… This is so difficult. In Blender 2.79 I was even better, but it is very hard to learn things new…

I think it will be helpful, if you also make a thread with your own Blender journey. That is inspiring and you can see your progresses. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today I have added some fog… I find it a difficult topic…my pc gets very slow and it is a challenge for it…[

3 Likes

I really love your answer! I set up a schedule so I can practice everyday. I also believe it is key to repeat and practice the material you learned so you can actually master the material and not just get the feeling like you know what you are doing.

I am working on creating the Brooklyn Bridge and it is really pushing my knowledge and skill of Blender but I believe at the end of this project I will have really learned Blender and can further create detailed and well developed projects in Blender.

1 Like

That sounds like a really good idea and I am looking forward to see your progresses. Maybe the environment course is also interesting for you because bridges are one of the topics. I find also the game asset pack tutorials in the other Blender Course very helpful, especially the concept of modular structures and developing a complex model with different, following steps, level of details.

…another waterbassin, based on a curve, then beveled.

////////////////////////

/////

some detail of a church window… I wanted always model something like that and I am very happy that I got the result through experimenting and without any help or hints of videos :smile:

…sometimes I like a hard nut to crack on my own…:wink:

/////////////////////

Today I was experimenting with curved parts of architecture, I have used bevel.

grafik church%20tower church%20tower1

//////////////////

grafik

4 Likes

Hi, I would like to comment on learning strategy. It’s better to work on small different projects. Because the problems you encounter are solvable. Large projects, take longer and have more difficulties. And need more planning and project structure.
In the end, it’s difficult to be pleased by the end result. Because in your mind (fantasy, creativity) you will have a picture of the outcome. But the end results have probably diverged.

What I do is create mini projects. Trying to make them reusable. So when you need more complex compositions, you can borrow from your existing library of objects and materials. Items where you are familiar with.

Have fun, do your thing :wink: and amaze us!

2 Likes

Hi FedPete, you do it the right way and I find your strategy very inspiring. I also prefer doing the small steps and modeling mini projects. Sometimes I like to model with a time constraint: a project in a half hour, or a 10 minutes-model or a day- model…

2 Likes

I certainly need to do this more often, having “mini accomplishments” instead of working for many days that can turn into months depending on my free time to have a big one.

2 Likes

Today I have modeled a fence to challenge myself to get better in Blender I found it difficult and it was something out of my comfort zone. But now I am glad that I took this step.

5 Likes

Constantly pushing yourself outside your comfort zone is the best thing you could ever do for yourself on your learning journey! I love it and can’t wait to see what else you create!

1 Like

Thanks, Kevin-Brandon. I appreciate your comment and I love to see your bridge progresses.

1 Like

Here is a sneak peak!

3 Likes

That looks absolutly amazing so far! You have chosen a difficult topic and you take the challenge in a fabulous way.

For what reason do you use the Bezier curve? And it would be very interesting when you show us the bridge progresses in an extra bridge thread. I find it very inspiring.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms