My laser defender preview

Here it is so far.

I have added a shields power up and some particle effects for exhaust / rockets.
Shield fades when losing health.
Player is invincible for a few seconds after spawning

Sadly I was unable to capture the sound

next up I will add a variety of power ups ( missiles , more lasers, special attacks etc.)

Hope you like it.

9 Likes

As promised : Powerups and more weapons!

I set the powerup probability very high for demo and testing. Will bring this waaaaaayyyyy down in tuning!

I still need a cool missile sound!

I also added a health meter at the top .

6 Likes

Cool! I like it – especially the music and sounds you have.

Thank you. I really enjoyed the technical stuff for making the shields work and having missile tracking that is not too accurate.

I would love to see yours. Have you put it up yet?

1 Like

Hey,
Sorry I’m just now seeing this. It’s been crazy lately. I did put mine up but I had a lot of issues with that one that I had to fix. I’m on Glitch Gardens now and am close to the end of it but have an issue with my number for the stars not changing like it should. I’m not sure why.

Yep. Crazy seems too creep up on us for the whole year and just pounce in December just as we are about to try and take it easy ( or at least catch up) ;).

Tell me more about your problem. Maybe I can help.

Have you gotten to Glitch Gardens yet? Rick had us to put in the number 999 in our text box for the “number of stars” that is to show on the screen but then we go into Visual Studio and create code that is supposed to change that to 100 once we click on play but for some reason, mine does not change. It stays at 999. I have double-checked to make sure my code is the same as Rick’s and it all looks the same. I did have a couple of other errors that have been popping up but they did not hinder anything as far as gameplay. Rob is helping me to get rid of those but I still have the issue of the number not changing.

I think have yet to get through an entire game without some kind of problem. I will be moving along just fine in the course and then, all of a sudden, there it comes – some kind of a problem.

yes. I have worked up to lesson 144. Had to stop there to handle a paying project.

I feel your pain. I suspect that beyond the standard “Hello world” app, no programmer has ever had a project go completely smoothly. Solving problems is what I love. The paying project that I am working on has been stuck at compilation error after compilation error for almost a week without me even starting to make the requested improvements. Lol. The coding life!

I might be able to help if you show me your code, but for now here are some ideas that may help:

1. Lets make sure that the text component you are getting is the right one. in update display try this in your StarText script:
 private void updateDisplay()
    {
        //commented out for testing
        // starText.text = stars.ToString();

//Restore the above line after testing 
        starText.text = "It is me";
    }

If you run the game and the stars text displays “It is me” then you have the right text object. Remember to restore the code to this

private void updateDisplay()
    {

starText.text = stars.ToString();
    }

when you are done.

1. If your update display has the right star object and is able to change the text then we need to look at our addStars and spendStars. Are they both public methods? are you incrementing /decrementing the stars variable with the amount passed in.

2. If this is ok, are the addStars and spendStars methods being called when you attempt to spawn a new defender?

Lastly, if I need to solve this kind of problem, then I tend to use Debug.log a lot just to let me know which functions are being called and what the values of the variables are in those functions.

Hope some of this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Stay the course and be blessed.

Hey Manie,

Sorry I have been swamped with work lately and still am. I have had to work more lately which has not left me any time to focus on my courses. When things slow down some where I can really focus more, then I may have to just start over on Glitch Gardens to re-orient myself. And everything was really going like clockwork with that game and then, all of sudden, something went haywire and now, I’ve probably really messed it up by trying things.

I will let you know when I get back to some point that I can show you what I need help with unless it just magically fixes itself when I get back to it. Haha.

Hope you and your family had a Merry Christmas.

No worries, same here. BTW I happy blessed new year!

I want to get back to working on the programming so bad but they have added more work to me on my job that keeps me too busy and on top of that, I’m about to have surgery in less than two weeks. I’m hoping that during the time I have to be off of my feet after surgery that I will have a little extra time to work on the programming. It would be nice to get paid for learning – Lol.

Super rad dude! Portfolio piece for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you.
Still has some work that needs to be done. I have added a boss with swiveling cannons that need to be destroyed before the boss takes damage. I have also designed 4 other different types of bosses, but have not gotten around to creating their artwork yet.

Will post a video soon.(Hopefully :wink: )

As promised , some more video of the changes that I am still making. I have added touch buttons for the missile barrage and single missile launch. The missile barrage gets activated on a time so that you cannot just missile everything all the time. I think I will change the implementation to a power up like my other weapons so that you have to get the power up to use it and then it is gone again. Any suggestions or comments?

My single missiles used to be on automatic, but having the missile fire at fixed intervals (if you have the powerup of course) was a less than ideal, so I added a touch control for this.

I have been working on my bosses too, adding some extra damage sprites to all the weapon components and having the boss body not take damage until all the components are defeated.

Finally I have added a pause button and screen to allow the player to quit or continue.

I still have 3 more bosses to build and code, but it may be a while before I can finish the art ( not my strong suit, lol) .

One of the bosses will be like a type of carrier, with some main guns and launch tubes. The launch tubes will spawn fighters at random time intervals. The fighters will try to track you and shoot at you. Their attack strength and health will not be high and they will only have fuel for 20 seconds before they return to the carrier( unless you blow them up first)

The other will be like a classic flying saucer type ufo. Its special attack will be to do a quick 720 degree spin while launching projectiles in all directions.

The last will be an organic ship ( I am looking at hearts and arteries and other organic growing things for inspiration) It will have 1 high damage laser which fires in 2 second bursts at random intervals as a main weapon. On the body I will place plasma spawners (think top down view of a volcano crossed with some kind of organic pore fed by purpleish veins) which will spawn slow moving plasma balls with a 10 second lifetime that keep following you.
I will make the plasma ball expand over time , but as it gets more dispersed it will also cause more damage.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Privacy & Terms