My ladder and physics tweaks =0)

I really enjoy this style of game + development. I decided to make a few additional tweaks.

1. AirJump. This allows the player to initiate a jump mid-air
  2. MaxJumpCount. Allows the play to jump consecutively without hitting the ground (AirJump needs to be enabled).
  3. You can jump straight past the ladder. Climb is only initiated once up is pressed over the ladder.
  4. Ladder Idle sprite added.

Tweaked the general phsyics balance too…

Although the player can AirJump and multie jump (if enabled), these conditions are controlled and not glitches =0)

Here’s my sand box:

3 Likes

Could you share your code? I am really interested how you did it :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if he is going to share his code, but I posted a little while ago about how to add the climb idle state at least.

Adding a ClimbIdling State

1 Like

I struggled to do something similar and finally got it.

In mine, I wanted to be able to jump onto and off of the ladder but also be able to jump through the ladder or hit jump from the bottom. The in-class code was causing problems.

In my code, I created a bool that told me if the player was attached to the ladder (be sure to declare that variable as false at the top of your script, not pictured here). A player becomes attached by hitting the up or down button (Vertical axis). If your player is attached, then your gravity scale is set to zero. Once it becomes detached (bool goes false), gravity is set back to normal. I also made set the bool back to zero if the player jumps.

Hope this helps someone!

private void PlayerClimb()
    {
        if (myFeetCollider2D.IsTouchingLayers(LayerMask.GetMask("Ladder")) && Input.GetAxis("Vertical") != 0)
        {
            isAttachedToLadder = true;                                                                              // Lets us know that the player has attached to ladder.
            float controlThrow = Input.GetAxis("Vertical");
            Vector2 climbVelocity = new Vector2(myRigidBody.velocity.x, (controlThrow * climbSpeed));
            myRigidBody.velocity = climbVelocity;
            myRigidBody.gravityScale = 0f;
            bool playerHasVerticalSpeed = Mathf.Abs(myRigidBody.velocity.y) > Mathf.Epsilon;
            myAnimator.SetBool("isClimbing", playerHasVerticalSpeed);                                 // Lets us know if the player is actually climbing.
        }
        else if(isAttachedToLadder && myFeetCollider2D.IsTouchingLayers(LayerMask.GetMask("Ladder")))
        {
            myRigidBody.gravityScale = 0f;                                                                          // If player attached but not climbing, we still have 0 gravity.

}  
            else
        {
            myAnimator.SetBool("isClimbing", false);
            myRigidBody.gravityScale = startingGravity;
            return;
        }

}

private void PlayerJump()
    {
        if (myFeetCollider2D.IsTouchingLayers(LayerMask.GetMask("Ground", "Ladder")) && Input.GetButtonDown("Jump"))    
        {
            isAttachedToLadder = false;                                                                             // If player attempts to jump, they detach themselves from ladder.
            Vector2 jumpVelocityToAdd = new Vector2(0f, jumpSpeed);
            myRigidBody.velocity += jumpVelocityToAdd;
        }
    }

Thank you. Your code gives me better results then what I wanted. Thank you.

1 Like

Oh no, I never saw the request for the code, I totally would have. really sorry guys, I feel aweful.

Privacy & Terms