My first game character (muscular) feel free to let me know what you think (criticism appreciated)

this is my first character i ever made, i started by making a base human model, then i went into sculpt mode and played around a little, then rigged it and animated it.

some things i would change:
the long hands.
the bad animations, i would make them more realistic.

what i would keep:
the experience i learnt

5 Likes

Hi Peter!
It’s really great for your first character :wink:

Now for the criticism (You’ve asked for it)
I like the back and the shoulders very much. But there’s a line or something on the upper back / neck, which doesn’t look right.
You have some problems with the anatomy/proportions of the model. The chest is too small. The rib cage should about end where the bottom of the upper six pack is. The v-shape of the torso should be shaped with help of the latissimus, not with the ribs. Also the pecs are way too small for the rest of the body. And when walking the chest gets somehow punched in by the arms. You can’t sqeeze your rib cage like that, no matter how muscular you are :wink: Concerning proportion I also would say the forearms are a bit too muscular. And he’s one of those leg day skipper kind of guys :wink: Also the shin has an edge in the middle. And I think the feet should be a bit longer.
As for the animations…Take a look at yourself when you walk. When the left leg goes forward, the right arm goes with it. It’s always the opposite one. Besides that I really like the flow of the motion of the walk. When running he shouldn’t move his upper body that much forward. Try looking at videos of people doing those movements (maybe even in slowmotion), study them and adapt them to your animation.

I hope not to upset you with all the critique. The beginning is always hard. It’s really important to use reference material and don’t get off track. Doing something from scratch just from imagination without reference (even not self made reference) will mostly not work out.

Great work !

@Stefan_Stockinger pointed already the anatomical errors and the importance of reference material, so I’ll just add two things.
First, when you model a human character, its arms should not be positioned down against the torso, because of the deformations when it will be animated.
Second, if you plan to create a game character, mind your polycount.

This is a very good start.

In addition to what the others have said, make sure you shape a nice butt! I feel it should be a little more pronounced for this model. It doesn’t have to be big and squishy, but it should come out a bit more with or without muscular definition.

The hands are not particularly the problem, in my eyes. I think you need to lengthen the forearm by shortening the upper arm a bit. Then perhaps increase the girth of the wrist area slightly, and I believe it will match itself properly.

=====================

A suggestion I have is that you should put your character in the run animation, pause it, and look at the proportions from the side (and from all angles, honestly). You’ll get a better view of what needs to change.

I think you did a pretty good job with it overall. The best thing you can always keep is the experience. You can mess up horribly or even lose your data, but if you actually make mistakes and learn, you’ll always produce better and better models.

Just be careful whenever you sculpt as to not mess up the mesh of the model too much. Sculpting is great, but it can also ruin your topology and loop flow if not careful. Keep it all in quads as much as possible because they will be resistant to deformation when animating.

======================

Keep up your motivation and efforts, but don’t burn out~ :cake:

Sorry if it’s unwelcomed but I’m weighing in too

• The back has random divots and lumps in it.
  • Right around the middle of the model, at the stomach, he has a weird thickness
  • In the animations, but in the rost pose specifically, his arms are directly vertical, which is the cause of a lot of the awkwardness here. Note that even when resting, the human shoulders typically point outwards a bit more.
  • There are many, many loops on the insides of the legs where you only need a couple.
  • The poly count is very high for a ‘game’ character. If you intend to use this, I would suggest retopologizing the sculpted neck muscles, the inner legs, and outer arms.

Basically, the biggest, most important tip I can give you is that you should practice on your rest pose, as in, the pose in which you create your model. It is important that the character stand with a straight back. The chest should be the object at the furthest-forward part of your model, and the shoulders/upper back/butt should all line up at the back. And always keep in mind the curvature of the human spine.

So, in conclusion!

1. Shoulders out
  2. Chest forward
  3. Shoulders and butt back
  4. Curvy spine!

Here is a very different styled character of my own, but it’s an example of a comfortable rest pose with a nice back and spine. I wish my posture irl was that good ;_;

Hey everyone, if you didn’t know, you can press 5 on Sketchfab to view the topology of the model. That can help when studying geometry, or giving advice.

2 Likes

you sir did not upset me at all, your comment actually made my day, this is exactly what i am looking for, thank you very much this helps me know what i did wrong and how i can fix this, as of the legs you are completely right lol, i tried to make them more muscular but it just would not work, and that line on the neck gave me a very hard time tried to fix it for a long time but just wouldn’t work.
again thank you very much

you are correct, i modeled it in the T pose, i don’t know why it shows this pose :slight_smile:
i haven’t gotten into texturing and uv unwrapping and retopology yet, maybe soon

hahahah thanks for the comment, i appreciate it, i like that suggestion, i will do that for the next character, is it wrong that i am too afraid to try to model the face ? lol

wow this looks very good, thank you for the comment, and you are more than welcome to give me criticism and advice, thank you very much again. i will try for my next character any advice for faces ?

There are two basic methods for faces I would recommend:

• A 2x subdivided cube to make a head, and then inset the features where need be
  • Hand-construct the head using planes

Another method is sculpting, but as you’ve seen, the topology can be… messy.

The first method is the ‘cheap and cheerful’ method; creating facial features fast and easy. It’s not for show, but it allows more time to work on parts of the character that will be seen more often.

The second method is generally more work than the first, but results in a unarguably superior product. There are many topology studies for faces online, but what is generally accepted is that if you split the face into certain loops (Around the mouth, eyes, and from the nose bridge to the chin) then you will end up with a great looking (and highly customizable) face!

What I’ve sort of noticed in my experience is that Method A results in the picture on the left, and Method B gives the picture on the right! :smiley:

Here is an example of topology loops. If this all seems threatening, there are many face construction videos online.

1 Like

i tried the second method, using the planes, it is effective but extremely time consuming. thanks :slight_smile: i am going to try to make another character with better anatomy and dimensions overall.

1 Like

Good luck!

I can’t wait to see more :smiley:
P.S. My first head with Method 2 was a disaster xD It gets easier with practice.

so i am trying to model a realisticly athletic body, seems simple right? XD here is what i got so far:
reference image:

then you got the wireframe of the upper body, looks good so far:

simple enough, but this is when disaster strikes XD:

look under the chest lmao. this is very bad, this has smooth with edge split (and the X mirror)
then you got the side:

which looks decent in my opinion… just the chest is bugging me, lol what do you think so far ?

You are using way, way, WAY too many vertices, even for realism.

Here’s something you should know about topology: If you’re not using a vertex to create or change the shape of something, it doesn’t need to be there. For example, a cube will still be shaped like a cube if you add 3 loop cuts in the middle of it.

I see a lot of your verts there that aren’t changing the shape of the model at all; they are just there to add to vert count.

I have found this for you. If textured, this is the sort of model you would expect to be a ‘realistic’ model in a game these days.

As you can see, the creator is using a nice, smooth line that travels around the model, with no Ngons (With the exception of flat NGONS ( like cylindrical tops) ngons are bad. In some cases, if you have an ngon anywhere on your model, your model is not ready to be animated)

POTENTIAL FIX: Instead of tracing out the abdomenal shape, start by creating a ‘belt’ of planes around the reference. Then, extrude up or down from each loop, slowly shaping it as you go. This way,you are creating your model in flowing ‘layers’ that are easy to change with proportional editing and loop selectors later on. When you get to the shoulders, go back down to the ‘belt’ and move downwards; shoulders are easier to do from the neck down.

That’s the method I used near the start, but there are others; such as using two subdivided cubes; one representing the crotch and the other representing the chest, and moving through and adding, shaping, etc.

Remember not only to use references of pictures, but also references of topology. One more topo-trick is to copy it into a graphics program and draw the lines out before you block model it to see if your topology will work before you start.

A good topology will determine whether the mesh will flow right when it’s rigged, and will be tougher to rig if sculpted or overdone.

I may have overdone it. I hope this helps, I am not trying to sound like a boss! xD Sorry.

1 Like

i was trying to do a loop cut but the front and back face was buggy and did not loop cut, only the sides and top and bottom

It might not be ‘buggy’ per se; try to remember that Blender is a computer, it’s trying to figure out how your loops flow. It can’t do that if there are triangles, ngons, or strange directions on the loop you’re trying to insert a cut onto.

1 Like

I recommend you take the advice of McFuzz with the face creation. You have to use a decent method if you want viable results.

I would say you can also practice in the lowest of forms by using a cube. Use simple methods by insetting, extruding, etc. Make a general face while keeping it all in cube-like form, then apply a Subdivision modifier to see the results. That might help to get a better feel for it from the start.

Never worry about starting fresh over and over. Do not delete your previous characters though. Save them and look back at them to see mistakes, and sometimes you can even go back and fix them later if not too time consuming.

=================

@McFuzz I gotta say I really like that character. And thanks for the trick with Sketchfab and seeing the mesh of it. I was always curious about it but figured it wasn’t an option. :beers:

2 Likes

i am going to retry making a character, not muscular this time, athletic however

here u go
front ortho:

right ortho:

any suggestions ? or critisism ? and any idea how i can continue from now lol

1 Like

To add to this conversation, the shoulder is the hardest part to animate in a character and this is a really good video showing good topology for the shoulder : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akmy1ZowcLU

Privacy & Terms