My Almost Retro and Casual Block Breaker

https://sharemygame.com/@atom_x/my-almost-retro-and-casual-block-breaker

Hi,
I am making this for android in portrait mode, so aspect ratio is 9:21 (A50).
There are only 4 levels (Updated, now there’s 7), but I spent most of the time on a (hopefully) satisfying gameplay.

Some bugs are happening from time to time, like (very rarely) vertical loop (only when stuck to the wall, but boring horizontal loops are non existent), as well as sometimes, if two balls hit one block, the count is double so level ends before all the blocks are destroyed.

You can aim the ball partially with positioning of the paddle. For the ball-hit sound effect I made slightly different pitch versions of this cool sample and put them in an array and made it so that every time a ball hit something, a random sound from that array is played. It makes the effect more natural (this could have been done much better, but I am more than satisfied). Similar thing is done for block explosion sound. I also made simple level to level transitions and added a cheerful sound effect when the last block on the level is destroyed.

Would really love to hear some feedback. Cheers!

https://sharemygame.com/@atom_x/my-almost-retro-and-casual-block-breaker

5 Likes

This is amazing! Can I share this on the GameDev.tv showcase?

1 Like

You nailed it! Congrats on the game.

1 Like

Of course and thank you :slight_smile:

This feels really good to play as a whole, the ball changing colors when it hit something, the camera shake, the slow motion when you finish a level, the simple yet effective art, all that helps to create a cohesive experience. When creating my own brick breaker I realised how many details needs to be there for it to feel good, I appreciate the effort you put into this game :slight_smile:

The music is energetic but I feel the gameplay is a little slow and easy, perhaps the ball moving a little faster would help?

Also, on the last level there was a block still there when the level moved on and granted me victory. I had the same issue, it’s caused by the ball hitting and counting a block twice.
The animation of the main menu feels nice and responsive. Great stretch and squash.

Overall it’s a really well made game! :smile:

1 Like

Hey Carre, thank you for the feedback! I’m really glad You liked it.
It might seam a bit slow, but for me this was ideal speed when tested on mobile. I will test some more speed options for sure and try to fix the count mechanic… Cheers!

1 Like

This is fantastic! I was so proud of my own block breaker game until I saw this one lol. You did a really excellent job!

1 Like

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

I love the explosive effects with the minor screen shake, it really adds a fun twist to this classic style!

1 Like

That game is freakin awesome. It has that “one more game” feel that block breaker games need.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms