My 2022 Game Jam Entry

Hey friends! I call my game “Graveyard Escape”! Take the role of a zombie who is having a hard time resting. Try to sneak your way past the graveyard guards to escape!

GRAVEYARD ESCAPE by TelesphorosGames (itch.io)

This is my first game jam ever, and I am having a blast. I’ve already learned so much about what it takes to really make a game from the concept up. I am so glad to have participated and want to thank the crew at GameDev.TV for hosting this!

I can’t wait to see what everyone else made and play all of your cool “Death is Only the Beginning” themed games. Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,
Tele

4 Likes

Looking good! I’ll make sure to check your game out when I finish mine.
By the way, I don’t see a link to you game’s itch.io or jam submission page, that would make things easier. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much!!! I’ll take a closer look and get that put together today :smiley:

Your game is looking amazing as well! Can’t wait to play :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, sorry. I thought you already finished your game. :sweat_smile:
Take your time, no need to hurry.

1 Like

I really appreciate it though! As this is my first jam I had no idea what the process looked like so it’s good to take a look before the day of the deadline (which was my plan) :smiley: . So Got the page set : GRAVEYARD ESCAPE by TelesphorosGames (itch.io)
and now I’ll just have to get the files squared away :smiley: Thanks again!

Cheers :smiley:
Tele

1 Like

Hmmm… I can’t see your game’s itch.io page, I get this message:

There seems to be no games in your profile page either.
I guess you still have to make your project page public. Otherwise, no one but you will be able to see it.

Cheers!

1 Like

Nice! Quite a bit of polish for 5 days.

Based on the video, my only suggestion would be to soften the shadows being cast by the bars on the outer walls, or just disable them.

Also, what asset pack(s) did you use?

1 Like

Thanks a ton, I really appreciate the help and feedback!

I also have a question about where I should give credit. I was wondering if it is best to add the credits page into the game, or to write them in the readme maybe?

I used 3 asset packs from the Unreal Marketplace : the Paragon Sevarog character, the Soul Cave pack, and the City of Brass Environment pack. I used almost nothing from the actual packs and still have a lot of project cleanup to do to make sure I only package what I use. This project was a huge eye opener for how much of a pain that can be.

Other than that, the Zombie character is from Mixamo.com , and the music is from Nihilore.com - free CC music for indie devs. Sound effects are from
200 Free SFX by Kronbits and I found there are lots of free sound effects packs of great quality on itch.io :smiley:

And thanks again @bitpatio! I forgot to publish the page indeed. Got it up now :smiley:

1 Like

Nice, just wasn’t sure if all those were free assets. And thanks for the suggestions for the free SFX! I’ve been grabbing mine from freesound.org. Pretty good library of effects/ambience and you can filter by license (e.g. creative commons).

1 Like

The most important place to give credits for the assets you use is in your sources README, as not doing so might get you in trouble in case credit is due. Either in the game itself or the itch.io page is also a good idea.

Yes, in the end I’ve decided not to use megascans or the marketplace with UE because of that same reason. Now I have another problem: time. :joy:

I see. No problem, I learned the hard way last year. Make sure to submit your project in the jam page as well, as Tim commented this year it is a separate step (you make and publish your project page then submit it to the jam).
Is it just me or I can’t see the Submissions tab, by the way? My guess is that only people who have already submitted their game can see it, but I might be wrong. I know it’s there because I saw it on the streams.

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the help! I really appreciate it a lot. I don’t see a submissions tab yet either, though. I did a lot of work today on the game- I added a difficulty choice, a better spawn system, and implemented bushes that you can hide in to help get across the map :smiley:

I also got those shadows looking much better :smiley: Thanks again!

Will continue to keep the thread updated until I submit.

Cheers,
Tele

1 Like

Here’s a short clip of the final gameplay. I’m uploading the files now so the project will be ready to submit by tomorrow if all goes well! :smiley:

Just getting the project uploaded and ready to submit has been a huge learning experience. I first packaged a broken game ( didn’t test enough before packaging ) and had to fix the bug before trying again. Then, I uploaded the files incorrectly and could not get the game to open upon redownloading. I finally got everything squared away, my files zipped up and uploaded, the game running from the download, project files all looking good - only to realize I forgot to ZIP my README file up in my final product!

At long last, I’m finally officially uploading the completed files to the drive, and will be submitting my game shortly afterwards.

Project submitted at last! It is like a great weight lifted, and yet somehow I still feel nervous about my creation - I double checked all of the rules and did my best to follow everything, but was every ‘i’ dotted, and every ‘t’ crossed? I’ll enjoy a breath of air - the last 10 days have been quite the experience! I would estimate at least 50 hours put into this game - I basically spent all of my free time in the engine. Now that I can be at ease that the project has no technical errors ( On my end ) I can go check out some other amazing game jam creations!

Thanks for following along, and many thanks to everyone who gave feedback!

Cheers,
Tele

1 Like

Privacy & Terms