[Released] Multiplayer Course for Unreal Engine 4

Life-time members will be let in first as is always our policy.

How do I become a lifetime member ? Is there any link where I can read more about it and its benefits ?

At the moment, life-time members are those who purchased the option on our kickstarter launches. We currently have no other way to purchase. But we have been considering it for a while. Benefits are as it sounds, all future course and first.

1 Like

Are you going to cover the MMO games topics in this course? Smth really simple, but with close to real application?

That would be great. Very simple implementations of things like room creation, population balancing, etc
But I guess if Steam Integration is taught that should include all these things.

MMO is a massive topic, we will only really be able to cover it if there is big enough demand. Technically, it requires a lot of custom code and may be well beyond the scope of just one Udemy course. That said, room creation and session based games are totally different and we will cover those.

What kind of simple MMO where you thinking of? We will be covering a concept called relevance in Unreal which allows you to only get updates about nearby objects. That helps scale up the world considerably.

Another thought, if we were to do an MMO course, it wouldnā€™t be Unity or Unreal specific because the software require for MMO is mostly custom and not in either of those engines. So we would have to write something from scratch then show how it can be integrated into a sample game engine.

1 Like

Sounds interesting and it will be really helpful.

That is awesome, to see how to create your own Game Engine with MMO.

I mean - a server in internet and some users can connect to it as clients. We can simplify the process to 5-10 online users.

1 Like

That would be great. I am actually a gameplay programmer (Unity3D) and my company is making an MMO. Although I have a basic understanding of how things work, it will be a whole new experience getting my hands dirty in the actual implementation of server and networking stuff.

Creating a Game Engine in itself is exciting enough. After a lot of practice and learning, we can use the same knowledge to understand, tinker with and add our code to UE as required. It will be a great starting point for that.

A course for multiplayer is coming? How do I get on the notification for that course. Definitely want to check it out.

1 Like

Well in progress, over 5 hours of content from @sampattuzziā€¦ watch out for early access.

Very exciting

Awesome! thank you

OH this sounds very interesting!
I would love to see an in-game chat being created step by step.

1 Like

Where can we find the early access? :slight_smile:

I would like to see how to do asymmetric game styles, like one team is 3rd person attackers and the other team is first person defenders. Smart Matchmaking and level streaming, I think thats what it is called where you have a large map and only load in the current ā€˜segmentā€™ and those near it.

In game chat is not particularly challenging. We are planning to fry the bigger fish like state synchronisation. However, if after taking that, enough students want game chat, we can add it.

2 Likes

Nowhere yet. :wink:

This also sounds like an interesting topic, iā€™m hoping that there will be enough demand for this type of style of gaming. Having the knowledge of how to approach this category of gaming would be so valuable.

Also, checkout https://improbable.io. Iā€™ve mentioned them before but they have great infrastructure for creating large scale MMOs. If we did an MMO course, I think we would use that.

Incidentally, the CTO went to Uni with me :smiley:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms