Moon Craft, a project boost variation

Finished Project Boost a week ago, but I’ve been working on the base and making it something I’m proud of. I really am enjoying this course, my goodness has it made all of the coding click for me. I’ve been trying to figure out c# on my own for a really long time, and this is just what I needed.

I was able to go from this course, and the knowledge I already had, and create this.

Thanks Rick, you’re an awesome instructor.

6 Likes

This I think was the most story driven spin on the boost theme I have played yet.
The visual design was interesting and your original music is great. The last level took the most effort to finish. Overall an excellent game.

1 Like

Thanks so much. I appreciate the kind words. I think I might come back to this project after I finish the course and make a Master Blaster kind of game.

I personally do not enjoy perspective obstacles in Project Boost, I think it’s really hard to tell when the player can and cannot pass, this is not just an issue with your game, I think it’s an issue with the concept as a whole.

That being said, I think you did a nice job overall, my only two tips would be to make it downloadable on itch or other platform because as a webGL game it’s a little taxing on older computers, specially with all those lights, and taking about lights, I not sure if you did but it seems like you didn’t bake the lights, that removes a lot of the real-time processing and also makes the lights work a lot better.

I agree with @Yee that you probably need to bake your lights and use light probes to get nice lighting on the moving objects like the rocket and the moving rocks. I think that the 2nd level with the falling rock is a bit too hard, as the rocket turns very quickly so often it smashed into the corner, and if I managed to not die there, the rock would get me. Otherwise I think it’s awesome!

WOW! This has got to be up there with one of the best Project Boost games I have seen! I love the graphics, sound, level design and menus. Top work!

Thanks everyone. @Erick_Howard & @Yee you are both correct that I didn’t bake the lighting. Still on the list of things to learn how to do.

I agree with you about the perspective obstacles Yee, I kept trying to find a way to make it not so difficult to see where they were in relation to the ship, hence all the lights on them. If I come back to this project I think I’ll totally rework the levels and make everything move on the x and y much more like a traditional side perspective game.

The thing I really like is the feel of the ship, I think it would be awesome to move around the overworld in the ship and then get out and go in places to explore on foot.

edit I went back in and changed the perspective to orthographic and reworked the levels to work without perspective obstacles, and I baked the lighting. Much better now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks everyone

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms