Mesh Errors on my first own model (M9 Baynonett) in Blender 2.8

Hi,

I’m HaraldQuake. I bought the “Complete Blender Creator” Course on Udemy and progressed up to lecture 55.
Since I already created a Glock model in 3D Studio Max some years ago, I wanted to test what I can build by now.
I loaded a reference image, build some mesh by using vertex extrusion, edge fill (face creation) and bézier curves, which I converted into mesh and added to the other mesh via join. I checked for double vertecies via edit mode -> vertex -> merge vertecies -> by distance (I think this does the same like “remove doubles”, which I could not find via F3-search in Blender 2.8)… I also checked normals via Viewport Overlays -> Face Orientation and tried to make sure everything is correctly aligned. I used Mesh -> Normals -> Recalculate Outside and Mesh -> Normals -> Flip. I used the mirror modifier along the X-axis.

Anyways I get some wierd problems with my polygons. When I try to create faces via fill (I select 2 edges, which meet in a vertex and press F) some faces look transparent (although I got Viewport Overlays -> Face Orientation checked… Normally faces should appear red or blue I think), they don’t seem to get created correctly and in the correct place. When I create these faces, it creates them transparent and in a wrong place. It looks like it also creates unselectable edges. Not sure what this is. Some kind of invalid geometry?

Some screenshots on imgur.com:
M9 Bayonett Mesh Errors

What am I doing wrong? Thank’s in advance for any help!

Greetings!

Remove doubles was renamed merge by distance so i would give that a try to see if you can have some success with that.

Let me know how you get on

Hi. Thanks for reply. I tried “Merge by distance” and it didn’t help. I searched online for a solution but couldn’t find one. I continued building the M9 Bayonett hand-cover and grip. I also tried to rebuild some parts of the blade but I wasn’t able to fix the problem. I will be away on some music festival from wednesday to sunday. I think I will finish the grip and rebuild the blade after that. I might also change the scale of the grip and apply the mirror modifier… I will update you guys on here ASAP. :raising_hand_man:

Hi. I’m back home and here is a quick update:

Imgur
Imgur
I worked a bit more on the grip, pulled the blade a slight bit away from X-Axis=0 and applied the mirror modifier after that. Now all the transparent faces are gone and it seems like I can continue work on the blade. I also dissolved some of the edges to get more quads instead of triangles.
My plan is to edit the jags a bit further. I want them to be a bit sloped but I’m not quite sure how to make it that way… Because of all the triangles… and basicly I want a 100 percent straight face with the jags in it.
Any tips?

I think at this point you need to learn retopology and that is taught in the human head section which will be a little way off for the remaster.

This means though dissolving and deleting and remaking the faces to be quads.

You could try convert to quads which you do in edit mode and in 2.79 it was in the faces menu but an F3 search should find it

As always back up first as sometimes it can make things worse.

Hope this helps

Thank you. I will have a look.

Quick Update:

I figured out how to ramp up the jags and cleaned up the blades and grip topology quite a bit. smooth shading looks better now… Also I finished the grip. I’m quite happy with the results. I’m going to Unwrap now…

1 Like

Nice job that looks great in the render :slight_smile:
As you learn more and progress from practising you will start to make the models and lessen the amount of retopologizing you need to do but it will always be a part of modelling but more so in organics usually.

Great work and thanks for sharing the improved model

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms