Mayan pyramid

Here’s my rather vanilla pyramid. I have heaps of trouble getting the “sky” plane in the right place for the camera. It disappears or gets cut off or only shows as a distorted edge. Is there a particular way of looking at this or do I just need to learn to think in 3D? I also have heaps of trouble with fps navigation (much to the amusement of my teenage son). This means I’m just taking what I can get rather than getting what I want!

6 Likes

Blender has some internal boundaries. If you cross them, part of the mesh is cut off.
You can increase them (forgot how).
But what you can do is to scale down the piramid and putting the camera closer.

Basically your scale of things is too big for the standard Blender setup.
Which is just a configuration issue.

I think the problem you are experiencing is called ‘Clipping’’. The view and the camera have different clipping settings. You can extend the range of what is seen either for close up or for further away.

For the camera, select it, open the right tool panel ‘N’. View tab, there is ‘clip start, End’ boxes that can have different values entered.

Camera navigation Can be easier if, with that same panel open, ‘View Lock’ drop down, Check ‘Lock Camera to View’. Then you can move the view while looking through the camera, NumPad 0, Just like any other modeling view. Just when happy with your camera viewpoint, Uncheck ‘Lock Camera to View’ or I find I inadvertently forget it is the camera and examine some detail, which moves the camera view. Grrr.

That or threaten teenage son into positioning it for you with fps! :rofl:

Ta a lot! The “Lock Camera to View” is a world I can understand, although I’m still quite bamboozled by the clipping. Perhaps I need to scale down as FedPete suggests (ta for that too).
My dear son (who is actually 20, I forgot…) has taken it upon himself to teach my fps. Sigh. He says I need to start with Minecraft then hone my skills on COD4. His ulterior motive is that he thinks I’ll be able to design maps for his Armour 3 mods. We’ll both be in Shady Pines by the time that happens!

1 Like

Thank you

Privacy & Terms